Friday, May 23, 2008

Miss Hadleigh Claire, the Comedian


Like all other parents we have concerns about what our girls will grow up watching on TV and in movies. Dave was very opposed to letting HC watch TV like Baby Einstein, etc. and so I never let her watch TV until last summer when we were out in CA and Dave saw some of the benefits of having a DVD player on a road trip.

I am not a huge fan of the Disney cartoons, they can be really scary for little kids...dragons, evil sorcerers, huge whales, that is scary stuff! And I am still on the fence about Veggie Tales...I used to really like them, but now have concerns about them. I could write a long post on that, but I generally feel like they reduce scripture to a bunch of moralistic deeds...do good, and treat people kindly and you please God...um...not really, but enough about that. We love the Pixar films, and Dave has been collecting them. And, since HC was born we have been collecting Muppet Movies.

How can you go wrong with the Muppets? Oh, they are so great! Dad and Mom gave us the Muppet Movie for Christmas, so on Wednesday I plugged in our new portable DVD player (since our TV is in a carpeted room) and put in the Muppet Movie for the little miss. Who knew she would sit through the entire movie and now LOVES it. Every waking moment she asks for the "frog and bear"...aka...Kermit and Fozzie.

That evening I came downstairs after putting Annelise to bed and Dave said HC had something to tell me. When I asked her about it, she looked at me and "Wacka, Wacka" (for those of you who need explanation that is what Fozzie says when he is telling a joke). It was SO funny! Dave said she was saying that to him while taking her bath.

So fast forward to tonight. Now that she is potty trained she doesn't want to wear a diaper to bed...yea...she is not quite ready for that. I instructed her to leave her diaper on, but she is two. I was upstairs unpacking boxes in our room and could hear Hadleigh talking to herself, which is normal. At about 7.30 (she goes to bed at 6) I heard her begin to exclaim something and I just knew she had taken her diaper off. Sure enough she had taken her diaper off, and when I went in to get her she was just so happy to see me and that asked about getting dressed and eating (as if it was morning). I put her on the potty and then took her into my room to find a onesie big enough for her (figuring that is the only way to keep her diaper on). I put her on the bed and while putting her diaper back on was trying to sternly instruct her to leave the diaper on...as I finished the lecture she responded with "Wacka, Wacka, Wacka". Come on...who wouldn't burst into hysterics? I was laughing so hard and then she started laughing and we ended up both collapsed on the bed laughing together. It was such a fun experience in so many ways. HC is really becoming more and more interactive. It is so fun to listen to her talk and make sense of the world. My little girl is hilarious!
Just a note about the picture. She has a golf ball in her mouth...again she is hilarious!

2 comments:

Nathan Smith said...

That is so cute! With Pixar and the Muppets you definitely can't go wrong. It is so fun reading about your girls growing up, I know you all are going to continue having so much fun together!

Ashleigh said...

I'm totally with you on the Disney and Veggie Tales thing! I don't think either are that great and we avoid feature length films like they are the plague! I don't know why I want to work on TV watching skills so that my darling boy will zone out for 90 minutes in a row! I am a HUGE fan, however, of PBS' Curious George - it is Silas' absolute favorite and as a former teacher, I find it actually quite educational!

Way to go on the potty training thing! I had the same problem with night time dryness - I just wasn't ready, but he was. We made him wear pull-ups until he was consistently dry at night and then I double made the bed and kept my fingers crossed. We've only had one accident! Such a big boy!