Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Veggie Jambalaya

Last winter when I was prego with True, my sweet mother-in-law called and asked if I would like a few frozen meals.  They were going to be coming to visit for New Year's and she had thought it might be helpful if she brought along some meals that we could put in our freezer and eat as we needed.  I was overjoyed, of course.  My all-day-sickness tends to last from about 7 weeks to 20 weeks of pregnancy and bringing us some freezer meals was such a creative way of helping us.

Imagine our surprise when they arrived with a truck full of Christmas presents for the girls and several large boxes stuffed with frozen meals.  I think there were 30 in all.  No joke!  And she did not just make meals, she made banana bread and cherry pie and cheesecake cookies.  Seriously, it was amazing.  Both our freezers were stuffed to overflowing.  It was an amazing blessing to me, and I am still thankful that she did that for us.  Of course everything she made was wonderful because she is an amazing cook.  We had a couple lasagnas which are her specialty, a couple meat loaves, beef burgundy, spaghetti pie, tuna casserole, chili, chicken noodle soup, and several chicken casseroles.  One of our favorites she made was Veggie Jambalaya.  It is hearty, it is yummy, and it is easy to make and freeze.  And of course, it is vegetarian, which is wonderful because we do try to eat meatless dinners a few times a week.

The other day Dave made a huge pot of beans to use for "Pot O Protein" which is one of his specialties (and though I was scared of the name was actually very yummy), and we decided to use the leftover beans for the jambalaya.  I also decided to substitute quinoa for the rice and it turned out lovely.  You can use the exact same measurements and voila!  I also omit the fennel seeds in the recipe.  It is probably yummy with the fennel, but personally I'm not a fan.  Enjoy!

No comments: