Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Last fall my bro and sis-in-law gave me a subscription to Southern Living for my birthday.  I had been receiving Real Simple and enjoyed it, but I thought I would try something new.  For the most part I do enjoy Southern Living probably a little more than the RS, but I thought I would LOVE the food section of SL, and I just do not.  I have noticed that many of SL's recipes have processed foods in them (like condensed soups), and while I do enjoy a casserole once in a while (they freeze SO well), I do not enjoy them every night of the week.  Overall I tend to think of Southern folks as good cooks, so it seems odd to me that there would be so many recipes with these kinds of foods in them.

Enough about that.  I love pot pies.  I mean LOVE.  You know those little Swanson pot pies you can buy in the freezer section (talk about processed foods!), I love those.  I love Boston Market's pot pie.  I love my Mama's pot pie.  I actually have her recipe, but why is it, it is SO much better when she makes it?  I seem to have a horrible time making the roux for her pot pie.  I cannot figure it out, but it hates me.  So, when I saw this section in the February issue, "Mama's way or your way, chicken pot pies," I just had to try it.  Of course, "your way" had a couple condensed soups, and "Mama's way" had leeks, so I chose Mama's way. Here is the link, you can try it yourself.  We substituted phillo dough for the puff pastry, mostly because when Dave checked the label for the puff pastry (and he was grocery shopping for it), it read something insane, like 17 grams of fat in one serving.  Just for the puff pastry.  Yea.  So, give this one a try, it won't change your life, but it is fairly easy.  It definitely needed some more seasoning, but it was reasonably good.  Not my Mama's.

No comments: