Friday, February 04, 2011

Heart Crayons


 I was talking to my good friend, Sar, on the phone the other day and she mentioned that she had made some "heart crayons" with her girls.  Oh what a fun idea, I thought, and asked her how she did it, because when I grow up I want to be just like Sar.  And actually we are very much alike.  She and I grew up together, we were a year apart in school, but still good friends.  We both left Cali to go to college, she was up in Chicago and I was down in Lexington, but we made a couple road trips to see each other during that time.  After my junior year she and her roommate drove down to Kentucky to pick me up and we drove cross-country back to Cali.  The whole trip was a funny story.  We had gone to see "Romy and Michelle's 10 Year Reunion" in the theatre the night before we were suppose to leave Lex.  And on the way home from the movie we thought...why wait until 6am, let's just leave now?  So we sped back to the residence hall, packed up the car and left at 11pm.  Sar had the first shift and we drove and chatted and noted that there is not much to see in southern Illinois (good thing we passed through it in the night).  We stopped at a Waffle House at one point and had a midnight (or likely a 2am snack of coffee and waffles).  For no apparent reason while we were eating and chatting, Sar got the giggles and spewed her WH coffee all over me.  Apparently it runs in the family because earlier this year her cousin spewed coffee all over my brother right before he had to teach a class.  Interesting.
Anyway, I remember driving from St. Louis to Kansas City, and of course everyone was asleep, so I was desperately trying to keep myself awake.  That night/day we drove non-stop from Lex to Denver.  We pulled into a Motel 6 at about 6pm, checked in and crashed until 6 the next morning.  We got up and drove the rest of the way home.  What an adventure!

So, anyway, I was one of Sar's bridesmaids when she got married in 2000, and she was one of mine in 2003.  And then she had her first born in December of 2005 and I had HC in March of 2006.  Our second daughters are 3 days apart, and our third children, both boys are just 2 months apart, True was born in July and Johnny in September.  I do not plan things like pregnancies, so it was all a fun thing to go through together.
OK, enough about that, Sar told me how to make heart shaped crayons.  I ran to Target and what do you know, even out here they had heart shaped ice cube trays on the dollar rack!  We then took the wrappers off our broken crayons and sorted them by color.  Thank goodness we had Andrew to help us out with it all.  And after we sorted them we put them in the trays and baked them at 250 for about 10-15 minutes.  And then I threw them in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  They work wonderfully and it was such a great idea of how to reuse broken crayons!  Love it.

2 comments:

M & M said...

What fun! Can see a future project...

Christy said...

Hey, you forgot about the part where you had to bust out your super sharp German knife to get the paper off many a crayon. That was my favorite moment.