Monday, February 07, 2011

Skiing

Over the weekend we were going through old pictures.  Our living room has several black and white pictures of European scenery and I needed Dave to find three more pictures to hang.  He scrolled and scrolled and finally decided on three, and in the mean time I stumbled upon these pictures which brought back some fun memories.
I do not ski, neither does Dave.  Six years ago we drove to Austria with two other couples to ski.  Well, Dave and I knew we would probably not be skiing, but we would go along for moral support and for adventure.  We went to a little town called Reutte, Austria.  It is just across the border from Germany, near Neuschwanstein (the Cinderella Castle that everyone recognizes).  

We drove down in two cars, the guys rode in one and the girls rode in the other.  We visited the castle and went on to our hotel and then spent the following day skiing.  Jim and Kristen and Travis and Kristine went downhill skiing and Dave and I went cross-country skiing.  I think we had a better time.  It was beautiful, and cross country skiing was super hard, but I liked it a lot more than downhill.  We swore we would get into it more, but of course here we are 6 years later and I have yet to put on a pari of skis again.  The following winter I was large and in charge with HC, and then we landed back here in Atl.  Bummer.  There is not a big cross country ski industry here.  Maybe one day we will move to a colder place where we can try taking it up again...or not.



My other favorite memory from that trip was driving out the Plansee which was a huge lake that had frozen over.  There were people walking on it and sledding on it, and we all decided to play bocce ball on it.  So much fun.  Afterwards we stopped in a little village, had lunch and shopped.  I bought my favorite pair of shoes there.  Actually Kristen and I bought the same identical pair.  Six years later the poor shoes are falling apart, but I love them and continue to wear them.  The other day Dave encourage me to go look for a new pair, but I am thinking of taking them to a cobbler to see if he can fix them (the leather is rubbing off them...don't know if that is fixable or not).  Ah well.

No comments: