Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Tequila-Lime Chicken

My new favorite thing to make is roast chicken.  It is SO easy.  Whenever I make it I wonder why I had been making casserole and thinking it was easy, roasting chicken is WAY easier.  My mom is the princess of roast chicken, I say that because I think my grandma is the queen.  When we were up in NY visiting my grandma she made us roast chicken.  My 88 year old grandmother made us roast chicken.  It was super yum, like way yummier than my roast chicken ever is, so I asked her how she made it.  "Oh you know, just a little seasoning and you roast it."  Yea, I do all that too, so why is your chicken so much better than mine!

Dave and I decided that it was likely the quality and freshness of the meat she purchased.  And I think we are onto something, because ever since we visited Grandma I have been buying the organic chicken.  Presto.  My roast chicken just got better.

In any case, as I mentioned before it is so easy to make, and you can do it a bunch of different ways.  Sometimes I throw some whole peeled carrots in the bottom of the pan and throw the chicken on top with some krazy salt and pepper sprinkled on the top.  Sometimes I throw some garlic in the cavity and put some onions and mushrooms in the bottom.  The other day I made this Tequila-Lime marinade.  The recipe actually calls for chicken breasts, but why not a whole chicken?  So I marinaded the whole chicken and then roasted it.  Oh yum.  When it was finished we put it on tacos with black beans, salsa, cheese and sour cream.  The following night I used the leftover chicken to make Mexican Chicken Black Bean soup.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

sounds delicious and i agree with you that roasting meat is so much easier than making casseroles. i definitely made that shift after we had camille. thanks for sharing. where do you get your organic chicken?

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

I have purchased my chickens a couple different places. I buy Springer Mountain chickens at Publix. I like them because the chickens are local (North GA and NC), and sometimes Dave will pick one up at Whole Foods on his way home. Recently I got them at Costco, which was super cheap (2.29/lb) and they cooked up really nice. Yea for roast chicken!

Christy said...

Oh my, this all sounds delicious.

Jean Joiner said...

thanks...i usually only shop at publix. we don't belong to costco. i'll be on the look out.