Friday, September 14, 2007

Can You Be Green and Smoke?

Last Saturday Dave and I attended a “green” concert at Piedmont Park with the Allman Brothers and Dave Matthews. It was quite an interesting experience.

Because the concert was "green" there weren't allowing parking anywhere in the vicinity of the park. Dave actually got a parking pass for Colony Square from someone at work, so we drove to Midtown earlier in the day, parked the car and headed to the High Museum to check out the Annie Lebowitz photography exhibit. We then jumped on MARTA and came home. IN addition to the concert there was a Braves game, so we thought MARTA would be swamped by the time we left the concert. So I suppose we are only partially green.

We picked up our babysitter and literally ran to MARTA...oh the sight...and the contractions. We jumped off at Midtown and walked down 10th to the Park, along with a sea of other people who were mostly sober...mostly.

Once in the park we managed to hook up with one of Dave's buddies from work (because his office purchased tickets for everyone) and then slowly pushed our way through the crowds and across other folks blankets to be able to sit with the rest of the office folks. It wasn't the best situation for a 33+ week prego lady. I felt a bit out of place. I was one of the only people sitting down (as we were super close to the stage), and because there were no chairs, only blankets spread out everywhere folks were stumbling over me quite a bit. At one point some chics, who were slightly wasted started yelling at people for daring to walk near the prego lady, and they formed a mini circle around me and made folks walk around. It was actually funny. I thought, at the time, they were folks from Dave's office, but come to find out they were just strangers who had taken up my cause.

Dave enjoyed the concert, though it was hard for me. If I stood I had contractions and if I sat I just couldn't get really comfortable. Did I mention it was at least 92 degrees and humid? We did make it out alive and left about 2 hours into the show. Dave had gotten his fill (well, he would have stayed for the wholet hing if it weren't for me, so I felt a little bad).

The whole "green" concert thing was amusing to me. OK, so the beer cans and cups were biodegradable, but who cares when they are left in piles of trash all over the park. And the cigarette butts...I just kept thinking, you can't care about the environment and smoke. They don't fit together.

A word to the wise. When you are 8 months prego and invited to a concert outside with no chairs and 75,000 people, it might be best to pass it up.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm impressed you went. And I'm sure Dave was too. Way to take one for the team :)