Tuesday, June 05, 2007

You'd be Neurotic Too

Last week Hadleigh was sick. This is really the first time she has had a fever that wasn't caused by an immunization. Tuesday and Wednesday it was just low grade fevers of 100 or less. It got worse in the evening, but I didn't think much about it. Thursday it jumped to 103 and she had the runs. I felt so bad for her, but it really didn't seem to bother her at all, so I figured she was feeling fine. Friday she had a high temp as well and acted tired, but still fairly normal.

Dave got her out of bed on Saturday morning and noticed that her fever was gone. Yes!!! Great news. The bad news is that she had a rash covering her entire body. Of course it would be on a Saturday. We consulted for a few minutes and then Dave consulted WebMD. Great news...both measles and chicken pox present itself in this way. Fever followed by a nasty rash. Not only that but both are harmful to a "fetus".
So we call our doctor. Here is the thing about that. I chose him because he is a single doc practice. He doesn't even have a nurse, if you call during the week with a problem, he is the one you ask the questions. He switches weekend calls with 3 other docs who are all in single practices as well. So, the idea is that when we call we talk to a doc. No offense nurses, but you will see what I mean here in a minute.

Dave callsed and I don't know exactly what happened, but a nurse from somewhere, we can only guess that it is children's healthcare of Atlanta...great...calls us back. Dave tells her about HC, and the nurse recommends we give her some benadryl. OK...what??? Excuse me, but what the hell is wrong with my baby? Oh, and as a little tidbit of info...since your wife is prego...she shouldn't have contact with the baby, just in case it is chicken pox or the measles.

I am trying to remain calm and yet understand why the benadryl? Dave is trying to reassure me and yet is having doubts of his own. Trying not to be over-neurotic I called one of our good friends who is a pediatric nurse, Angie and leave her a message. I also emailed pics to another friend who is a PA.

After many tears and much anxiety I got a call from Angie and an email from Gwen basically saying the same thing. Roseola. Yesterday Hadleigh's horrible rash was gone, and we didn't need benadryl.

If nothing else, this scare made me a full-fledged believer in the MMR and the chicken pox vaccine. Protect all those babies in the womb.

No comments: