Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Making Room for Baby

Ever since we discovered that our little family was expanding we have been making plans. There are always plans when a new baby is involved, but our plans for this baby are very different than our plans for Hadleigh.

This time around we are having to figure out what we are going to do with Hadleigh while I am in the hospital, do we need to get another crib, should we move Hadleigh to a big bed, etc. I remember growing up I watched this old Bob Hope movies called "The Seven Little Foys". Every time a new baby came he slept in a drawer. I have considered that.

Now that we are in the second half of the pregnancy we have answered many of those questions and have gotten just a tiny bit busy.

Since we live in a small 2 bedroom house and have no plans to move anytime in the near future, we have pondered what the sleeping arrangements should look like. Since my parents were in a similar situation when my little brother, Dan was born, I turned to Mom for some wisdom.

Our good friends, Bif and Kris, have taken us on as a charity, and regularly supply us with things they no longer need. We have their washer and dryer, an old arm chair of theirs, actually our queen guest bed is theirs, and now they are giving us their crib.

Last week we transformed our little library into a library/guest room. We brought the queen bed up from the basement and moved our little love seat out into the living room. This was handy for our visit with Brian and Elaine last weekend, and will be handy when our friends David and Eowyn and their 5 children visit in a couple weeks. It will also be nice when Mom comes out for a couple weeks after the little one is born.

We have decided that the little one and Hadleigh will share a room, so the extra crib will go in our second bedroom. Mom suggested that the little one can take her naps in the crib, but suggested we let her sleep in a bassinet in the living room until her night sleep gets organized. Worst case scenario the little one can be in our room, but I really hate sleeping near the baby because they make all these crazy noises in the middle of the night. Hadleigh slept in her pack and play in our bedroom this past weekend, and I was reminded again why I really hate sleeping with her. =)

So eventually we will pick up the crib from Bif and Kris, though I am in no major hurry to do that. I suppose that will be about the end of my planning.

This morning Hadleigh and I were playing on the bed and she touched my belly and said ba-ba. Pretty close to baby! I think she is starting to make room for the little one too. She is going to be a great big sister.

4 comments:

Joe Stone said...

I agree that planning for the second child is different than the first! The great thing is that you already have most everything you need. The second child just seems to fit right into the family and they are always entertained by their older sibbling. I've found that most things I worried about just worked themselves out in time. The big one for me was nursing a baby while watching a 2 1/2 year old. We just found a routine and it seemed to work pretty well (though Will had a couple of potty accidents until he realized that he could use the potty without me watching him!). I'm so excited that you're having another baby - enjoy your pregnancy.

Brea said...

When we lived in that house (sans children) I often wished that we had a third bedroom or a second bathroom, but then I would remember the fact that two parents raised three boys in that house AND their grandmother lived with them. It's all a matter of perspective, and I know that y'all will make it work, and it will be just what you need. I can't believe you're about to have two children! You'll be a family of four!

Jean Joiner said...

Amen on not being able to sleep with a baby in the room! I can't handle that either. They do make so many little noises...why is that?

Lisa said...

I laughed when you mentioned the baby in a drawer. My parents used to put me in drawers when they were traveling. Of course this was in the 70's and they were low budget parents :) I turned out okay. At least I think I did!