Monday, June 18, 2007

13 Years and Counting

I cannot even believe that it has been 13 years since I started my freshman year at Asbury College. But it has been, and I still enjoy keeping up some of the friendships started there so long ago. My first day of freshman orientation when I was moving into room 216 of 2nd Glide I met this crazy southern girl, Elaine, who was moving into room 218 right next door. She called her roommate Jen (who was from PA), Jin. And she thought butt was a bad word. Those are just a few of my first memories of her.


Elaine arranged my 18th birthday which was just 2 weeks after the semester began. We went to her family's house in Glasgow along with 3 other gals. Eventually they surprised me with tickets to see Steven Curtis Chapman in Nashville...and I just thought we were going to Bowling Green for dinner!

We had classes together our freshman year. We were in choir together our sophomore year. We served as RAs together our junior year. And she served as ARD, while I served as RA again our senior year. Right before we graduated she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. After my first surgery in Atlanta she drove down from Lexington to take care of me for the weekend. She helped me pick out my "Make him want a date outfit" that I wore to community group one night and later that week Dave FINALLY asked me out. And she managed to come down to Atlanta twice while Dave and I were dating, and then finally was a bridesmaid in my wedding, and even gave the toast at my reception. We have a long history of friendship and service to one another. I had always hoped that whenever I finally got married my husband would get along with Brian, and that has proved to be true which is a great blessing.

This past weekend Brian and Elaine and their little boy, Todd, came to visit. They were on their way to FL to visit family and were able to stop for a long weekend. It was so wonderful to see them.

Saturday morning we went to the Atlanta Zoo. Hadleigh barked at all the animals and Todd enjoyed the elephants and zebras. In the afternoon Elaine and I were able to continue a long tradition of getting pedicures together. Dave and Brian were able to get in 9 holes of golf on Sunday. The rest of the time we just hung out, watched the kiddos play, which was hilarious, and enjoyed being together again. It was a wonderful blessing to experience their friendship again and to know that after 13 years we are just beginning on our road to understanding one another and walking with one another.

No comments: