Monday, June 25, 2007

Take Me Out to the Traffic Jam?


This past Saturday we thought it would be fun to head down to "The Ted" for the Braves game. They were playing at 4 and I thought that was the most perfect time to take Hadleigh, after nap and just a little past bedtime.

Unfortunately we got off to a REALLY rocky start. Despite having the MARTA connection so close we decided to drive. I know realize that I should have exerted my knowledge of MARTA and Braves games because Dave had only been to a game one other time and didn't realize how insane it can get driving.

Anyway, we set off and for some unknown reason 75/85 was clogged to almost a stopping position from Lenox Road all the way to who knows where. Did I mention that our car thermostat rang in at 101 as we sat in our car and baked on the fwy? We also don't have air, so we literally baked. We finally pulled off at Spring Street and weaved our way over to the field. Of course then we sat and baked again as we waited to park. Hadleigh was really upset, and feeling a little overdone and of course I was in a FOUL mood, so while waiting for a parking space I grabbed her and we walked to get tickets and to be out of the car.

Whenever I had gone to games in the past, unless it was with a big group, I would always buy the $5 day of the game tickets. They were standing room only, but you could always find a decent seat somewhere. Well, by the time we got there, apparently all the cheap seats were sold out, so I ended up buying a $10 SRO ticket. I mean the game was packed out like I have never seen! We roamed around for a while and finally found a couple of seats in the upper pavillion along the first base line...the problem at that point was that the seats were SO hot from sitting in the sun that they were burning my legs. We finally settled on "sitting" where you are suppose to "sit" when you have SRO tickets. We climbed to the tip top of the upper pavillion where there is a chain linked fence and a ledge that is about 3 inches wide. It was in the shade, there was a little room for Hadleigh to roam and did I mention it was in the shade. It was hard to see anything really, but at that point nobody cared.

I did stand up to see Chipper Jones hit his homer, which ended up being their only run of the game. It doesn't look good for the Braves this year...I mean who gets beat by the Detroit Tigers? Yikes! Overall Hadleigh had a great time. She kept everyone at the fence entertained, was mesmerized by the large screen and even did the tomahawk chop. I think that I have even resigned myself to root for the Braves. I mean if we are going to live here I might as well start rooting for them. Of course I will never root for the Braves over the Dodgers or even the Mets. All in all it turned out to be a decent day...I had just forgotten what Atlanta summers are like...wowee!

No comments: