Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Choosing and Choices

For the last couple of weeks I have been having an interesting conversation with myself. I'll tell you that it is an ongoing conversation and this is hardly the conclusion of my thoughts on the subject...just a few ramblings. I might revisit this again later, but wondered if I put something things down on paper it might help bring some clarity to my own thoughts.

A few weeks ago I was fiddling around on the internet and skimming some of Matthew Smith's blog (he did a concert at Intown a couple weeks ago). While skimming I found a link to a video on utube that had a song performed by Pensacola Christian College. The song was a little odd, but went something like this:

God made everything on earth, he carved the oceans and made the mountains and gave the whiporwill his song, but He gives you freedom to choose (I am guessing they are speaking of choosing God).

I am guessing that this song was suppose to be wonderful and comforting, but it left me in a quandry.

My first question after watching this was...why do we humans hate the idea of God choosing us? Why is that so unthinkable to us?

My second question was...is that really what the Bible teaches?

My third question was...why am I ok with God choosing where the mountains are and what songs the birds sing but I am not ok when it comes to God choosing (predestining...ahh! Buzz word #1) believers.

I am not sure of really any of the answers to the above questions. Well, that is not entirely true, I do feel really confidant in answering my second question.

Here is what I know about me. If left on my own I would choose sin every day of the week and every minute of the day. I definitely have my own mind and thoughts, which are, apart from God, sinful. If there is anything good in me it is from the Lord...if I am able to make any good choices it is by His grace alone. So, though I have all of these unanswered questions, what I know about myself and what I know about scripture tells me that, in fact, I did not choose God. I feel like I chose him because I prayed "the prayer", but how can a person dead in sin (Col 2.13, Eph 2.1) choose God?

That is enough ramblings for now...I know most folks are happy that they don't have to look at a poop post now...you are welcome Sar!

2 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

Call me crazy, but I would probably rather read about the grace of God choosing us than seeing a picture of poo. :)

Doug and Jenny Lotz said...

Amy,

What a blessing it is to read about your insightful ponderings as to Who chose whom. Isn't it wonderful to see how God graciously and mercifully chose us in Him and that He was the Lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world. About seven years ago, God began removing the scales off of our eyes to see the wonderful truths of election and predestination. The doctrines of grace are so sweet and dear to our hearts. Doug and I are so excited that God is revealing these most precious truths to you and that we have a common love for the reformation and our sweet theologian Piper.

Love,
Jenny Lotz