Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dr. Who?


Much of my life has been spent desiring not to stay in one place, not to be committed to any one thing for too long, not to be predictable...(David speaking) but what I have found about myself is that this drive has been commanded by my pride and selfishness. Many of the lessons and Bible studies I have completed in the last two years have shown that pride is the pinultimate root of much of my sin. Up to this point, I have people joking (but honestly) by saying "Now who was that doctor who was nice, tall, had a beard, and would do our pre-orthodontic extractions? Hey Alene, do you remember the name of..." I could go into some of the places where I previously worked and most would not remember me by name. In fact if I was a betting man, I could win a large sum of money by proving myself right. I have become the nameless doctor, except the next patient who didn't forget my name. Just kidding, Photoshopped.
Now the quandry changes faces. Will I be staying in one place so that people will know me by name, or will I just be the next nice guy with a goatie, tall, and reddish hair. I think many of us ask this question, desiring to make impacts on those that cross our paths, but many will hit us head on and we still won't remember their names. My challenge both to myself and to you is to remember 80 percent of the names of the people you meet this week. Write them down, do crazy associations, ask again before you stop talking to them. None of us want to be greeted by, "Oh yeah, I met you last week and I can't remember your name" In other words "Oh yeah, I was making conversation last week just to pretend to be nice and I don't give a rip about you, because I can't call you by name" Memory is no excuse, if you can memorize hundreds of movies and their actors, the number of shoes in your closet and what outfit they match, all the lines in Napoleon Dynamite or Raising Arizona, or any number of absolutely worthless things, you can memorize the people's names you come in contact with.
Just as I don't want to be known as Dr. Who, so does everyone that you meet.
"I have called you by name; You are mine" Isaiah 43:1

No comments: