Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yes, Ja, Si, Oui

I am so confused. In the last 8 days I have tried to operate in 4 different languages. Of course when we were in Spain I could only understand what folks were saying after they had walked away. Dave kept telling me I was useless and asked why he had brought me along. We return from Spain to Germany, where I can't even begin to claim that I understand a thing that they say.

Of course, while we are in Germany, we still operate a lot in "America" aka Baumholder Army Post. So I still use my English all the time.

This past weekend Dave whisked me off to Luxembourg City for dinner where we ate at fabulous Italian-French retaurant. They speak French in Luxembourg, and I know that...it is my favorite city, but Dave had to keep correcting me because I kept responding with si, instead of oui.

Now, back in Germany I am at it again. I ran to the little flower shop, which I will have to say is the best thing in down-town Baumholder and picked up a beautiful bouquet of flowers for our neighbor who is ill. I paid 12e for it, and if I had been in the states it would have cost me about $30. Anyway, she asked me about Hadleigh and instead of saying Ja, I said Si. I then tried to show off my German by telling them that Hadleigh was 6 months old...then she asked me another question to which I responded...again...with the dreaded si.

I don't think I won any points today, but I think Hadleigh's smile smoothed it over for me.

No comments: