Monday, February 23, 2009

First Time in 5 Years

It is almost impossible to surprise Dave. In the 5 years that we have been married I have tried multiple times.

For his birthday the first year we were married I was going to surprise him by taking him away to Strasbourg for the weekend. Somehow before we left he managed to figure out that I was going to take him somewhere, and then although he played dumb, as soon as we got on the road he figured out we were going to Strasbourg...ugh!

A couple years ago I was so proud because I was going to get him a wine fridge for Christmas...I had emailed my bro for some suggestions, and dumby me put "wine fridge" in the subject of the email. Of course Dave figured that one out!

So about a month ago I had an idea to surprise Dave. I told no one. I emailed no one. My mom was here visiting and a couple days before the day I wanted to surprise him, I asked her if she would be willing to keep the girls overnight and part of the following day. At that point I started telling some random people. So a couple weeks ago Dave came home from work. He thought we were going out to dinner, and on the way I had him pull into this ritsy hotel parking lot (got on priceline! $300 room for $75!). He was SO confused and so proud!

We dropped our stuff off, walked to dinner (which was mediocre at best...unfortunately), and walked back to the hotel. The next morning we slpt in until 7.30, ordered breakfast in bed, went to get massages (which actually turned out to be bad because the chic that massaged Dave ended up cramping one of his muscles), and then we went to Oakland Cemetery which is the oldest cemetery in Atlanta. We had a wonderful time strolling around, and then ate lunch at Six Feet Under. The time was glorious! That was our first night away in 2 years. As we walked through Oakland Cemetery holding hands we were trying to think about the last time we were able to stroll along during the day like that...it's been a while.

Anyway, it was like a little teaser because in a couple of weeks we are going away for a long weekend without the girls. They are staying at home with some of our good buds. I cannot wait!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Phil is also IMPOSSIBLE to surprise. I think the only time I've pulled it off was when I planned a surprise half birthday party (6 months from his birthday, if that makes sense). I'm very impressed with your trickery - and I love that you spent your time in a graveyard! I've often driven past Oakland and thought it looked really interesting.