Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Compost Begins

It took us a while, but we finally are getting a compost pile up and running. The previous owners left this huge pile of yard debris in a corner of our yard, and last fall as Dave was trying to make it more manageable he discovered a 10x16 concrete footprint for what we can only guess was going to be a shed (they even ran it for electric). They also left enough brick to build the shed (ok not really, but almost). We had been planning on putting my compost pile out there, but never got around to it...like we didn't have anything else going on! I had been a little bummed because I was planning on using the compost to begin my garden this spring.

Sunday Dave went out back to build me a mini compost and when he began to clear some more of the debris he realized that we have a huge MOUND of compost from the leaves and whatever was in the pile. I am so thrilled. And now I have a real place to put my compost pile, made by Dave. YOu can see it in the above picture, and I guess having the yard waste is nice because I will have plenty to mix my food scraps with. Compost here we come! Now I just need to work on finding the perfect spot in my yard for the garden.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'll start saving all my egg shells and potato pealings for you.