Monday, December 29, 2008

New York, New York, It's a Wonderful Town!

On Christmas Day we jumped on a plane and headed to NYC. OK, we headed to New Jersey, actually, but we had a fabulous view of Manhatten from our hotel room. The purpose of our visit was to see my Grandmother, the girls Great-Grandmother Gladys Claire, whom Hadleigh Claire is named after.
I must admit our last big trip/vacation to Asheville was a bit of a nightmare, so I was not sure how this MAJOR trip was going to go. But it was more important for us to see Grandma, so we made the plans. Apparently I come by my planning/organizational abilities honestly because from the time we mentioned the trip to Grandma, we had weekly conferences to plan out every detail.
We left on Christmas Day and arrived in time for a wonderful lunch at Grandma's with all my favorite food. My grandmother lives in an awesome apartment that has an incredible view of the Hudson River, the George Washington Bridge, and upper Manhatten. After the girls napped we jumped into Grandma's car and drove to the hotel which was a great find, thanks to my Aunt Kathy. We also had a magnificent view of the city and our rooms even had a kitchen! There were tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance and even a little park, so it was a great place to stay.(the view from our hotel room)

On Friday we met up with Grandma for lunch and then went to Aunt Kathy and Uncle Alan's for a real Hanukah dinner...yummy! Brisket, latkes, oooh yum! It was so fun to visit my family and to have the girls spend some time with them. Annelise LOVED Aunt Kathy, and Hadleigh is still talking about Great-Grandma Gladys Claire.

(Annelise and Aunt Kathy)

Saturday we drove into the city and visited the American Museum of Natural History. This is my fav museum. I remember going there as a child, and it was still as amazing. The museum is 4 city blocks long! Hadleigh LOVED every minute that we spent there, and asked me today about going to the museum again. Grandma, of course, is sure this a sign that she will be a great scholar.

(Dave and the girls in front of a dinosaur in the AMNH)

Sunday was a very special treat, Grandma, AUnt Kathy and I went into the city for brunch at Tavern on the Green. I haven't been there in years. In fact the last time I was there was winter time and we walked from Great-Grandma Pigeon's apartment on Central Park West to TOG. I remember holding Grandma Gladys' hand and Dad holding Grandma Pigeon's hand. I think I was 10. We ate in the Crystal Room, which is the best room, and had a marvelous time. It was so much fun and I just love my aunt and grandma. They are so hilarious and full of life, and very encouraging...of course I am the only niece/grand daughter, so everything I have ever done has always been perfect.

It really was a fabulous trip and I look forward to going back.

2 comments:

M & M said...

you will have to get the name of that hotel. Looks spectacular! (if I can ever get Michael to take me to NYC again...he hates it)

Brea said...

Sounds like a great trip!