Wednesday, March 12, 2008

House Inspections

I have heard varying reports about home inspectors, but yesterday I was convinced that our home inspector was awesome! Our realtor, Daryl Sims, is an old MTW buddy of mine. He was a missionary in Romania for two years and then came back to the office and worked in my department. A few years ago he left and became a realtor and when I heard that I knew we would want to use him. He is also very meticulous, so when he recommended our inspector I knew he would be good, I just did not know he would be THIS good. If you are ever in the market I can make the connection. Even Dave was impressed, and it is hard to impress him about these things because he knows so much about houses.

Yesterday at playgroup someone asked me what made this house stand out among the rest, and my answer was a little funny. This is the first house we visited that did not have mold. Dave has an amazing sniffer. He literally walks into a house and says, "hmmm, mildew!" It was so annoying when we were looking at houses. I finally just told him to stop talking about mold because every house in Georgia is going to have mold with its generally wet, humid weather. But don't you know, our inspector who is mold certified remarked how surprised he was that he did not find mold. Score for Dave.

So, after our lengthy discussion with the inspector he told us how impressed he was with our choice and the house. He said the potential and the possibilities were great. I took that as a compliment since I figure this dude sees a lot of houses, and a lot of crappy houses. So, if he thinks it is good I am happy. Turns out he is also an architect, so Dave said this morning that he wants to hire him to draw up a couple of our home projects, namely the kitchen and the master bath. We hope to see him again.

That is all good news on the house front as there is nothing to stop the show. There are still two tests that will come back next week, lead paint and radon, but we are hoping for the best. We know the house has lead paint...because it was built before 1978 and everything built before 1978 has lead paint, but we are hoping it won't be extensive. Also the cross ventilation under the house is amazing (according to dude), so he was hopeful that the radon reading would be OK, though apparently you never can tell.

It's just got to make you feel good when the inspector tells you it is a great house. Yea! We are super happy.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

How exciting! I can only imagine how wonderful it'll be to have a house of your own! Maybe I'll find out in about 20 years! ;)

jessrings said...

Wow, that sounds amazing. That wasn't my experience but at least I had people who said it's really ok if you have a screen door that doesn't work right now!! I know your house is going to rule and I'm so glad that it's so close I can bike!