Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Reformission

I have a new fav person and his name is Mark Driscoll, he wrote the book that I am currently reading, "The Radical Reformission". My first plug is that he is pretty funny, and so as I am reading along I am always giggling about something he has written. My second plug is that his book seems to be entirely about the gospel, and so it is challenging and music to my ears.

The main premise of the book is that the church needs to have three things in focus...gospel, church and culture, or...a love for the Lord, a love for our neighbors, and a love for other believers. You take any of those out of the equation and you get liberalism, fundamentalism, or parachurch.

Another thing I like about it is, it seems to be a call to be relevant to the culture without ditching church.

Here is a quote that I have been pondering these past couple of days.

...reformission requires that Christians and their churches move forward on their knees, continually confessing their addictions to morality and the appearance of godliness, which does not penetrate the heart and transform lives...I learned that God's mission is not to create a team of moral and decent people, but rather to create a movement of holy loving missionaries who are comfortable and truthful around lost sinners and who, in this way, look more like Jesus than most of his pastors do.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We went to Mark Driscoll's church in Seattle! Daren has downloaded several of his sermons and we listen to them on road trips. I too have enjoyed his straightforward style of teaching.