Thursday, August 02, 2007

Pile of Wrath

I don't think that I have mentioned it before, but Dave and I started hosting a Community Group, basically Intown's small group Bible study. We are glad to be back in the swing of things like this, and it has been fun to get to know the folks who attend the group.

The only real downfall is that on Wednesday nights I really count on Dave being home from work early to help and sometimes that just doesn't happen. It seems to be harder and harder to get things done with Hadleigh Claire around. It seems that I have to sacrifice one mess for another. For example I folded clothes while she pulled clothes out of Dave's dresser...what do you do...at least she was happy.

So, for the first Wednesday of every month the group skips studying John and we have a potluck dinner and read and discuss an article.

Last night we introduced them to "Pile of Food". This is a McNay tradition, and we had the privilige of introducing Baumholder to "Pile of Food" and now it is Atlanta's turn. Pile of Food is basically maybe what the normal person might call taco salad...but it is with a twist. According to Dave, growing up they would just pull out all the contents of the fridge and cupboards and load whatever they wanted onto their plates. AND they always topped it off with coconut and walnuts. There is no Pile of Food without coconut and walnuts. Also the main foundation is fritos. So last night everyone brought something to pass and we had a fabulous Pile of Food feast! Dave managed even to talk some of the gals into trying it with coconut, and those who did enjoyed it!

OK, so onto the wrath part. Dave picked out an article by John Piper that was called
God’s Deliverance from God Is the Foundation of God’s Deliverance from Satan
How the Cross of Christ Corresponds to and Conquers Satan’s Work
I know that it is a ridiculously long title, which kind of reminds me of how Jonathan Edwards titles things. The article of course was good, and piggybacked on what Matt Christian preached about on Sunday. It reminded me of what one of my little Baumholder friends said once. It was one of the Money girls, either Katie or Rachel. One of the Chaplains was asking them questions about their faith and the Bible before they took their first communion. I think the question was something like "What are you saved from?" And she answered, "God saved us from Himself and saved us for Himself." I thought it was fascinating then and I think it is fascinating now...I am not saved from hell, I am saved from the wrath of God.

3 comments:

CP said...

I am so sad to have missed Pile of Food! Maybe it will repeat itself... and it sounds like a good article too.

Christina said...

I have to admit, the coconut was good. Who knew?!

jessrings said...

Agreed. Coconut rules. And I really liked the fear part of our talk last Wed as I told you today. I'm still thinking about it.