Sunday, August 16, 2009

Broccoli Salad

I cannot remember if I have mentioned this before, but a few months ago we started experimenting with vegetarian recipes. This past spring Dave applied to up his life and disability insurance, and we thought for a month before they came to run his blood work we would eat meatless...well at least I would cook meatless and then we would eat meat when we ate out. Dave was up for the challenge and I was anxious to see if his cholesterol would be lower without the meat (at the beginning of the year we cut out butter and went to skim milk, so I am sure that has helped as well).

The funniest moment was one evening when Dave arrived home to find me putting together Shepherd's Pie. "Lamb or beef?" he exclaimed. When I turned and excitedely responded "kidney beans" his face fell. The dish was fairly yummy, but afterwards he mentioned that he would prefer his shepherd's pie to have meat...ok...anyone have a good meat filled sp recipe?

Anyway, after Dave's tests this spring we took a bit of a meatless break and then jumped back into it a bit this summer. We aren't vegetarians...oh we like meat too much, we are just trying to eat less of it. Some weeks I succeed more than others. In any case, this summer we have perfected our version of Oriental Salad. Ya know, the great old Betty Crocker cookbook? There is a yummy recipe in there for Oriental Salad, but it is made with coleslaw. I am sorry, but cabbage is just roughage in my book...nothing horribly nutritious in that, but after stealing a number of ideas from a bunch of varying recipes, Dave is happy with the turn out, and so am I...and so was my playgroup when I made it for them a couple months ago. So here is the recipe...special thanks for Amy for the broccoli idea and Kathy for the sesame seeds idea, and Betty Crocker for the dressing!

1 bag of Broccoli slaw (the stalks of broccoli have been shredded and it looks just like coleslaw, only it is done with broccoli...yummy, and super good for you! In my store it is in a bag above the whole broccoli)
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
4 green onions, chopped
1 pkg Top Ramen Oriental Flavor Noodles
2 T. butter/margarine/olive oil
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 T. sesame oil

Chop green onions, and mix in bowl with the broccoli slaw, set aside. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Stir in seasoning packet from ramen mix. Break block of noodles into bite-size pieces over skillet (I usually smash the noodles while they are still in the wrapping); stir into butter mixture. Cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in almonds and sunflower seeds and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in sesame seeds and cook until everything is golden brown; remove from heat. Mix sugar, vinegar and sesame oil together until sugar has dissolved. Add noodle mixture and dressing to other ingredients and toss. I also think it tastes better after it has chilled and the flavors all mix together.

Dave and I will eat this for dinner, and there will not be anything leftover. Yummy!

No comments: