Friday, April 03, 2009

News...

I have been slacking on the blog front. Ugh! So I will give a bit of a decent update on our happenings.
At the beginning of March, Dave and I went away for a weekend...that is right, Dave and I...no children! Dave had his 10 year reunion from dental school, so we flew up to Memphis and had a fun weekend connecting with old friends (or Dave connected with old friends and I met new friends). We rented a BMW convertible 1 series (at Dave's request), and had a fun time driving around Memphis. The weekend was jammed packed, so we did not have any time to ourselves, but it was still nice to be away and sleep in! A couple of our good buds kept the girls for us, and they all had a blast.
I was able to attend Intown's women's retreat this year. I actually did not take any pics (lame), but I did have a fun time. My good bud, Steph and I drove up together and roomed together and since kiddos we do not get to spend a lot of time together, so it was great to reconnect over an extended period of time. It is always fun to connect with new women and reconnect with friends I do not get to see often. It is funny, I actually did not care for the speaker during the retreat, but I have found myself considering some of the things she said in the weeks since. So, it was definitely worth while and I am so happy that I went! That means I have been childless for 3 weekends in the last 6 months (I was able to attend the singles' retreat last fall because Dave stayed home with the girls). I am also looking forward to a girls weekend in May with a couple college buddies! It is great to take advantage of the girls being in a non-needy-mama phase.

On other travel news, we are really excited because this summer we are going on a mission trip to Belize. THE WHOLE FAM! We are so thankful for Mission to the World (the sending agency of the PCA) because they are making it super easy for us to take our 3 year old and (will be) 20 month old on this trip. This is the beginning of a big dream that Dave and I have had for our family. Our ultimate goal is to be able to go overseas for up to a month at a time. Dave can do dentistry and the girls and I can do...whatever. We can help with anything else that anyone else needs help with. This trip will hopefully be the first of many trips we take as a family. We hope that we will always care about all kinds of people, and that we will continue to learn and remember that the world is bigger than our little corner. I cannot wait to get Annelise her passport, and take HC to her 11th country.
The girls are still doing a fab job of sleeping together. I know, I am a lucky sack! They are not napping together, although I am beginning to think we might be able to start doing that in the next month or so. We will see. They are learning to sleep through each others issues (I just ran upstairs because HC was calling for me to change her diaper and A slept through the whole thing). It is also nice because when they wake up in the morning they are entertaining each other, so I have been able to wait to get them out of bed until 7.30. That is a major change from my previous 5.30 wake-up calls! I am still getting up around 6, but it is nice to be able to work-out, check email, and take a shower all before the girls get-up.
Last update is about my garden! It is coming along nicely. I have my little starters , and am hoping Dave will get a chance to build the garden bed in the next couple of weeks, so I can actually plant them in the ground. My compost pile is looking amazing, and it is SO super fun to do. I really hope I can keep it all up, we will see what the spring brings.

2 comments:

M & M said...

What fun you are having!
Michael has often bemoaned the fact that he did not become a dentist (funny since it is so random of all careers:) ) I better not tell him about the month on missions since that is also exactly what he would like to do.
Love to see the little sprouts. I tried to save money and did a bunch of perennials from seed and then planted them last weekend. It is nice and warm here now. Well, yesterday for various reasons, we had some guys in to do mulch in the yard. They were VERY thorough (normally a great quality), but in the process, they pulled up all my sprouted plants (thinking they were weeds) and even my rosemary that I sprouted which looks like...rosemary.
Oh well...probably would have killed them anyway. You just have to laugh afterward.

Brea said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for y'all about Belize! And yeah about the later wake-up time, too!