Friday, January 16, 2009

I Hate Words, Especially Sentences

I think this is a song...but music is not my strong point, so who knows.

Last night, after a VERY long day, Dave and I were in tears as I was recalling to him some of the conversations I have had with Hadleigh recently. She is SO funny, and while she completely understands everything that is said to her, she hasn't quite mastered how to respond. Sometimes this is completely frustrating, and other times is it pretty darn hilarious. It is even better when you can hear her little voice saying these words, but here are a couple recent moments.

I hear some activity in the background, hear Hadleigh tell Annelise, "No, Annelise, yucky" and then I hear HC begin to cry. I walk into the room and see HC and A sitting on the ground, and HC is holding her finger.

Me: Hadleigh what happened?"
HC: Happened?
Me: Why are you crying?
HC: Crying, Mama
Me: Why are you crying?
HC: Why?
Me: What happened to your finger?
HC: Finger is hurting.
Me: Why is your finger hurting?
HC: Finger got stuck.
Me: Where did it get stuck?
HC: In Annelise's teeth.

While the girls are napping I hear a loud thud that sounds like someone not just fell out of bed, but crashed head over heels out of bed.
Me: HC, what happened?
HC: Good nap?
Me: No, HC, you did not take a good nap, what happened?
HC: Happened?
Me: Did you fall out of bed?
HC: Fall out of bed?
Me: Did you fall out of bed?
HC: Yes.
Me: What were you doing?
HC: Doing?
Me: Were you standing up in bed?
HC: Yes.
Me: Were you sitting up in bed?
HC: Yes.
Me: Were you jumping in the bed?
HC: Yes.
Me: You should not stand up or jump in your bed, do you understand?
HC: Yes, ma'am.
Me: OK, well put your head on the pillow and take a nap.
HC: Oh Mama, I have a SERIOUS poopoo.
Me: Should we change your diaper?
HC: Yes, it is SERIOUS, it is a DANGEROUS poopoo. Put medicine on bootie and it feels better. Oh, bootie feels better Mama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in all my conversations i've had with parents and kids about poop, no one has ever called their poop dangerous. that makes me happy!

Allison said...

Those are some funny exchanges! I think it's so much fun to see the world through the eyes of children...like her finger "got stuck" in A's mouth - not that A bit her but that her finger got stuck. Cute!