Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Crazy Marty

A couple of years ago Dave and I received "Luther" the movie as a gift. It was fascinating to watch as I realized I knew little about the Reformation. I thought it especially silly for a couple of reasons. 1. I am a product of the Reformation and very thankful to be Protestant. Though I think there are some things to be learned from the Catholic side of things, I am overall glad to be justified by grace alone, through faith alone (Sola Gratia, Sola Fide). 2. I have been a member of a "Reformed" church for almost 10 years. Though some folks things Reformed Theology is just being a Calvinist, I have found that it is really so much more. I rarely even use the word Calvinist, except in an effort to freak folks out...I find it mildly amusing that somehow Calvinist and scary have become synonymous. In any case, a lot of Reformed Theology comes from both Luther and Calvin, but also from folks like John Knox, Frederick III (who commissioned the bishops to write the Heidelberg Catechism), etc.

Moving on, since I knew little about the Reformation, I decided to do some reading. While we were in Germany, we also visited some historic Reformation sites, like Eisenach (where Luther hid and translated the New Testament into German), and Marburg (where Luther and Zwingli parted ways over the significance of Communion). In the last month I picked up Luther's Bondage of the Will. Wow. The beginning is a little rough, but now I am getting to the good stuff, so I am pumped and had a hard time putting it down last night. I just wanted to read Dave the whole thing, but he was in his car world magazine, so I don't think fully appreciated me reading aloud.

The book seems to have been born out of a debate between Erasmus and Luther. Eramus seems to be defending that we have the ability to choose God, while Luther disagrees. So the book completely dogs Erasmus, and for good reason. I was trying to imagine the scene last night and all I could come up with, was the mental picture of Mark Driscoll and John MacArthur going at it. But neither Mac nor Driscoll are anywhere close to being as intelligent and profound as Luther, but it was a funny thought.

So here is my thought from Luther today...there is SO much more good stuff around this, but I can't copy the whole book and put it in here.
I certainly grant that many passages in the Scripture are obscure and hard to elucidate, but that is due, not to the exalted nature of their subject, but to our own linguistic and grammatical ignorance; and it does not in any way prevent our knowing the contents of Scripture. For what solemn truth can the Scriptures still be concealing, now that the seals are broken, the stone rolled away from the door of the tomb, and that greatest of all mysteries brought to light- that Christ, God's Son, became man, that God is Three in One, that Christ suffered for us, and will reign forever? And are not these things known, and sung in our streets? Take Christ from the Scripture-and what more will you find in them?...Thus it is unintelligent, and ungodly too, when you know that the contents of Scripture are as clear as can be, to
pronounce them obscure on account of those few obscure words.

The passage continues with some wonderful thoughts, but you will have to dig on your own to find those. For now, I am enjoying the pleasure of reading the Bible, in which every mystery has been made known to me through Christ and the Spirit.

No comments: