Thursday, October 25, 2007

Freedom

Today our check cleared and we are debt free. I feel this is a monumental occasion and could hardly be happier (only if baby Fred were here). Today we are no longer slaves to our debtors, we do not owe anyone anything.

Dave had actually done an awesome job of paying down his loans from dental school before we were married, but still had a good chunk left, and we had a car payment (never again). Once we moved to Germany things slowed WAY down on the repayment, but we still made a lot of progress, paying off the car and his first student loan in less than a year. This last one has been hanging over our heads for a while. We had actually just put off paying the loan off, well especially with our move back to the states and trying to find a job, etc.

Since he has become a permanent employee with his own patients (in July), we thought again, let’s pay this sucker off before we consider anything else. I think that I take more delight in this whole situation, probably because I handle the finances, but I find great delight that we will have several months of freedom before becoming a slave to a mortgage. I just keep thinking about all the freedom we have now that we aren’t bound to those payments. Yea! I have even thought about calling Dave Ramsey just so I can yell “I am debt free”. But I would feel rather dumb because we don’t have one of those crazy stories about paying off $45,000 in 8 month while making $25,000/year. So, I am just yelling it around my house. I am thankful, for the Lord’s provision and for wise counsel that helped us come up with a plan.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

HOORAY!!!!! I'm shouting it with you.

Next week on Friday or so I'm hoping to be doing the credit card debt free song and dance routine. I still have school loans and don't see them going away real fast, but man - I can't wait to get the weight of the credit card off me.

Jean Joiner said...

congrats! that's awesome. not many people can say that.