Tuesday, October 09, 2007

19 Months


Wow, how can my baby be 19 months old? I think that I say this every month, but I just cannot believe how big she is getting.

Everyday I seem to be discovering new words she has for things. Dave pointed out that she calls her favorite blanket "Key". She has been a little obsessed with key recently. Key had been only a bedtime/naptime "toy", but the past week Miss Hadleigh Claire has insisted on bringing Key out of bed, and then she leaves him in odd places around the house. The other day she couldn't find him and was getting visibly upset, so I said, "let's find Key" and began to walk around the house (you can literally walk in a circle through the rooms) to find him. I started calling for Key, saying "Blankie, where are you?" And HC followed me into every room saying "Key, key" with the same inflection I was using. So funny. We did finally find Key and she was SO excited.

For the last several months we have been talking to HC about her baby sister. Up until the last couple of weeks I would say she has been completely clueless, thinking baby was my belly button. Now when I say "HC where is the baby?" she will lift up my shirt and point to my belly, not just my belly button. I think that is a good sign. Slowly we are bringing out the baby gear, so that she can have and get over her fascination with all the new toys. The bouncy seat came out yesterday and she kept walking over to it, bouncing it, and saying "baby". I am not sure how she knows that a baby goes in the seat, but I was thrilled.

Last week at my morning Bible study we walked down the nursery hall and saw little Caden sitting in his carseat waiting for Emily to drop off Conner. When HC saw Caden, she yelled "BABY" and started running toward him. When we got down the hall to him, she just kept repeating the word baby. So, she knows what a baby is, and seems excited about it. We will see.

HC is asserting her independence more and more. She wants to walk down the hall to her class, and walk into class by herself. She loves to crawl into the car and into her carseat unassisted (which is super news for me), and she loves to clip herself into the seat. At the church picnic she wanted her own hamburger and ate almost the whole thing unassisted. She is also learning how to drink out of a real cup...that is a little more painful for me. She has mastered the fork and spoon and is now able to eat things without making a HUGE mess. As in, she has mostly stopped using her hands to help get the food in her mouth.

HC is also a very neat and tiddy baby. She likes to wipe her mounth and hands after she eats. At the picnic she enjoyed walking around and putting trash into a chip bag that was sitting on the ground. I gave her a dry washcloth the other day and she started washing herself. She said "eye" and wiped her eyes..."ear" and wiped her ears, "tee" and washed her teeth, etc. Unfortunately, I am still Dada, but one of these days...

She continues to love her books, love her music (and we dance every morning), and LOVE her stuffed animals. At church there is a large stuffed dog and I have heard that she spends most of her time on floor with him. Last week I took a big piece of butcher paper and taped it on our coffee table and we had/have fun coloring on it. So, she apparently likes to color.

Last Friday we went to the Aquarium with Grant and Jess, and their two buddies Jed and Able (who they were keeping for the weekend). Dave took HC on the whale slide. Pictures don't do it justice...she likes slides, but isn't entirely sure about them. You can catch pictures of it on their blog. Her fav animal is still the beluga whales.

I'll post some other pictures soon, but I think that is all for my update. Oh one last thought...yes, she still sleeps 14 hours at night, and a two hour nap...YES! And she isn't peeing and pooping in the toilet as regularly, but will still do it on occassion.

1 comment:

Brea said...

Reading these updates on HC is always fun. Brennan is blankie obsessed, too, and he calls it his "nana." I'm not sure how he gets "nana" from blankie, but it's funny how fast the words they use start to catch on. We now regularly refer to the blankie as his "nana", and to his stuffed kitty as his "meow."