Tuesday, October 16, 2007

11 Days

I technically have 11 days left, that is if you are using the due date the doctors gave me which I do not think is entirely accurate, but that is another story. Trying to guess when a baby is going to make an appearance is a real art. Of course these days you don't have to guess if you do not want to. Scheduling a c-section or an induction seems to be music to most doctors' ears. Yesterday my midwife told me that if I get tired of being prego they will induce me. To me that sounded like death, so I declined. Why would I opt for a procedure that cannot possibly be good for me or the baby? Babies come when they are ready, not when prego women are tired of being prego. I understand there are medical reasons to induce, like when you are two weeks past your date, but goodness, not wanting to be prego anymore is not a very good medical reason.

I am a planner to the max. Goodness have you seen my list of things to get done? Have you seen my labor plan for Hadleigh? Oh yeah, I am a planner, which some people find funny since I am an ENFP. Believe me, life would be simpler, in some ways, if I could just plan what day little Fred will make her appearance. Then I could just say Laura, be at my house at 3am on the 21st, and Kris, be ready for a Hadleigh drop at 9am on the 22nd.

These days we do not have to wait for much, and not many things are beyond our control, so I think it is a good discipline to wait and not be able to plan for my baby. I loved calling the Baumholder Dental Clinic March 6, 2006 to say, "It is time..." I look forward to doing that again, but it is a discipline to wait.

Last night, Dave said that I have been much more calm this time around. I think he is right, but there is a part of me that feels completely anxious. I so do not buy the whole American prego measuring thing. I do not believe it and will never be satisfied that my baby is ok, just because I "grew" a cm in a week. Lame...really lame. We have the best medical technologies in the world and they use a tape measure...just makes no sense to me.

In preparation for Fred coming I have completed my massive top to bottom cleaning. Sara, you would be so proud. Now we are just into the day to day cleaning again. Everything to do with the baby is washed and out, and besides a dumb double stroller, I purchased my last baby item on Sunday.

Now, we continue to wait and hope, that Fred makes her appearance sometime in October.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I am SO with you on the convenience induction/c-section thing! I did end up being convinced to be induced due to medical reasons and it was a nightmare ending in a very much unwanted c-section. My mom works for a Dr. and reminds me all the time that it's called Medical "Practice" for a reason. Praying for you as you await the arrival of little Fred.

Layna said...

Wow! Only 11 days. On the day I went into labor... I had been to the doctor for visit that morning and the doctor was recommending we go ahead and schedule an induction. And it was still a week before my due date. I was so irritated and told him no thank you. It is was all about what would be convenient for them. Happy Laboring :)

Sarah said...

I just sent you an e-mail about this! My doc totally wants to induce me. She keeps pushing it because of my high BP. Whatever. My BP is fine everywhere but her office, and it was even fine at the end of my appt yesterday. It makes me nervous knowing that I will have to fight her every week. Only two weeks left over here, so I can hold out!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and the Truth that I often find penned here from scripture and in song. I must take exception a few things in the last post. I, too, disagree with the induction just for convenience sake. That being said, physicians as a whole, make the decisions they make based on their best judgement for the safety of their patients. Their primary goal, as is the goal of every mom they deliver, is the health and safety of mom and baby. They are not the enemy here. Having been on both sides, as a doctor and mom, also induced due to a physician's concern for the health of my baby (that was appropriate) I had to speak up. Your doctor wants you to have a healthy baby and a good delivery experience. Physicians are "in practice" to take care of patients, not just to "practice". In the end, it is God who has planned the details, the date and the time of your little girl's arrival. He will watch over you and the hands of your midwife.