Thursday, February 15, 2007

Television 1994-2006

So, this post is going to go on a little trek through my TV habits over the last 12 years. You see last night Dave and I watched the season finale of Lost Season 2, and while I will talk about this later, I will just say for now, I wasn't happy.

In college, my show was ER. Thursday nights at 9.45 we would all make sure to be back on our hall, and would tear down to Elaine's room to see what Carter, or Susie, or Dr. Green or Dr. Ross would do that week. Way back then the show was actually about more than just who was sleeping with whom. Those were the days when you actually liked Mark Green and before Carter got weird. After graduation, somehow Er just lost my interest, and seemed to go downhill from there, though oddly enough, I just saw that the show is still on TV. Insane!

After college I took a little hiatus from TV, didn't have much time for it and was into other things, until...I moved in with Bif and Kris in 2001. They had their little group of shows they were into, so I jumped on the Survivor: Kenya bandwagon...go Ethan, and of course that was the first year of Alias, when Sydney Bristow had crazy hair, and we didn't know that "The Man" was really her mother, who was never killed in the first place. So, even after moving out, I was still hooked on those shows.

My new roomie Hoxter introduced my to 24, when the Season 1 discs came out. My other roomie, Sharon and I were addicted, and I think that I wastch the whole season in a weekend. I was hooked until the last episode, when Jack finally just went a little too far and, in my opinion, was unjustified in the actions he took against people. To, me he became dishonorable, and let his personal vendetta get in the way of correct moral decisions. This especially rings true to me today, when our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have to put their personal feelings aside, when they have to pick up someone who might have just killed their buddy. These soldiers are true heros...but Jack is just a little angry man. So, all to say after that season, I dumped 24.

Once we moved to Germany we stopped watching TV altogether. My bud Jess taped the end of Survivor Allstars and some Alias for me. And we lost touch of TV in general.

Last year right before Hadleigh was born Dave picked up Lost Season 1, and we spent a weekend watching it. I will have to say I liked parts, but wasn't overly hooked. Last night we watched the last episode of Season 2. I am going to refrain from commenting too much, though if you want to see an interesting Lost debate you can go to my bro's blog..."Dan and Karina" link above. I agree with pretty much everything he has to say. I am unimpressed...who the crap are the others? Why are their polar bears and horses on the island? What is it with the numbers? And is this just a lame comment on the state of religion?

So, all that to say, not much has changed in my TV viewing. I am still addicted to Survivor, everything else I can live without. I was happy to come back to America to catch the middle and end of Survivor Cook Islands, Yul was awesome, and now I can't wait to see what happens in Fiji.

No comments: