Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Beyond All Measure

This past Sunday we sang a hymn written by Stuart Townsend named "How Deep the Father's Love for Us." Stuart Townsend also wrote the hymn "Before the Throne of God" which we sang at our wedding. Since Sunday I have been constantly singing this hymn, and last night sang Hadleigh to sleep with it.

How deep the Father's love for us.
How vast beyond all measure.
That He should give His only Son
to make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
the Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
bring many sons to glory.

Behold a Man upone the cross,
my sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life.
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything:
no gifts, no pow'rs, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart;
His wounds have paid my ransom.

2 comments:

jessrings said...

That's like one of my fave songs. Do you have a copy of Laura Rod and Jeremy's Poiema CD? It's on there.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog--pointed in your direction by Kim Quigley, and was stirred by the lyrics and the faint memory of this beautiful hymn. Thank you for the post, and a reminder of the beauty and weight of the gospel put to such awesome music.