Monday, March 07, 2011

Hadleigh Claire Turns 5

This is my beautiful daughter who is 5 years old today.  Seriously, 5.  Seriously, isn't she gorgeous?  We are in trouble.  I love this picture that my friend, Jess (blog on the left), took because I think it completely sums up Hadleigh Claire in a picture.

She truly is one of the joys of my life.  One of my favorite "chores" of the day is to read to her before naps.  Sometimes it gets a little tiresome because she wants me to do it.  Even on the weekends when Dave is around, she wants me.  But I love it.  I love getting to enjoy every word with her.  Will Dorothy ever get home to Auntie Em?  Will Dr. Doolittle ever find Long Arrow?  Will Louis the Swan ever win his love?

She teaches me things.  Poor little girl is a lot like me.  Sometimes I feel like apologizing everyday to her...oops you go that from me, sorry about that!  But it is interesting to watch how she handles the world around her and see how I may or may not do the same thing.  Could it be the reason we clash a lot is because we are similar?

She is not afraid to love.  The funny thing is that I remember being 6 or 7 and hearing an adult talk to my mom about me.  I remember that she said I loved without fear.  I think that is how HC loves.  She has faced minimal rejections in her life, and I wish I could have spared her even from these (who knew girls can even be mean at 4 years old...I didn't expect that to start until 8 or 9).  But she loves her sister and brother.  She loves her friends.  She loves me.  She loves big.

It is such a joy to watch Hadleigh Claire be a big sister.  She does it so well.  Whenever True begins to cry she is by his side trying to distract him, or reminding me to feed him or change his diaper.  And she and Annelise play for hours and hours without fighting (sometimes they play for hours and hours with lots of fighting, but mostly they work it out and get along).  She serves her siblings by helping Annelise put on her shoes or finding True his blanket or special toy.

Her willingness to serve me everyday is admirable.  She is always quick to grab a diaper for me, or throw something in the trash, put something in the laundry room, put her clothes away, empty the dishwasher or set the table.

We have a little lover of the arts on our hands.  Almost daily she asks to listen to classical music, today she was asking for Dvorak (by name), but then decided to listen to Verdi instead.  And then she and Annelise giggled through the opera section.  Ballet is the highlight of the week, and her teacher has noted that she is excelling.  She also enjoys to swing dance with me to Harry Connick Jr.  She can hear a piece of music and pick out the instruments that are playing (trumpet, violin, guitar, piano), and she can also hum it after only hearing it once.  I cannot wait until she is old enough to begin piano lessons (maybe when she is 6).

Her confidence in her abilities seems to grow daily.  Some people thought it was foolish of me to take her out of "school" because of the social aspect of it.  They thought she would never learn to talk to adults if she is not around a teacher everyday.  Well, sometimes Mama knows best, and socialization is not the most important thing.  She has found her voice and it takes less time for her to warm up to folks than it used to.  I really think it has been very important for me (and such a blessing) to spend time with her over this year.  It is sad to think about her going off to school in the fall, I think I will miss her greatly (even though she will only be gone a few hours a day).


I feel blessed and so thankful to be Hadleigh Claire's Mama for the last 5 years.

1 comment:

Christy said...

She is seriously gorgeous. Good luck with that. :-)

Happy Birthday Hadleigh Claire! The Mobleys love you, too!