Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ode to Green




This is my ode to green. Since we moved in I have been saying I want to paint the kitchen green. In the beginning Dave was hesitant, but he slowly warmed up to the idea and ended up picking out the color. It took three coats of paint and a full day in the kitchen for me to like the color. Oh, it is definitely green!
Once the kitchen was painted we went through our pictures and picked 4 pictures to enlarge and frame. Two of the springs we were in Europe we drove up to the Netherlands to visit the Keukenhoff which is a large estate about 30 minutes outside of Amsterdam. Every March-May you can visit the estate, walk around and see all the bulbs, mostly tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, etc. It is similar to the Disneyland of flowers and if you are in Europe during these months you MUST go to Keukenhoff.
We picked out our pictures, enlarged them and this weekend we should be receiving them back from the framers. I cannot wait. Dave is crazy and enlarged one of the pictures to 24x36! But it is gorgeous and will go on the wall you see in the middle picture.
Our kitchen flows into the family room, so now we are trying to figure out how to tie the green into the family room. On either side of the fireplace we have built-in bookshelves, so we decided to paint the back of the bookshelves. Yea! It looks fab. Monday night Dave looked up a "how-to" decorate a bookshelf on the internet and then put it all together. He is SO funny.
We are slowly making our house our home which is so fun. In the process we are also learning more about each other, our tastes, and how we make decisions. It is funny.
A couple weeks ago I wanted to go to Home Depot to pick up some paint chips. Apparently Dave thought I was going to actually pick out the paint color and was surprised when I wanted to leave the store with every green paint chip in the store. Once we got home he continued to insist that I could pick whatever color I wanted...but as I hesitated and thought and contemplated he burst in and said, THIS one!
Dave is very decisive, is very artistic, and has definite opinions. After we took a trip to Tuscany he painted what is shown in the third photo. It looks great in our new green kitchen. Now we have to pick out fabric for roman shades that I will make for the kitchen, and panels that I will make for the family room. Brea took me to several fabric stores this morning and we cut a million swatched. I am so excited to finish up this project...though I suppose it will not be totally finished until we get some new furniture.

1 comment:

Brea said...

Wow, would Dave like to come and arrange our bookshelves?