Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Prodigals

If you know me at all you might say that I am outstanding citizen. A hyper responsible, rule follower, first born...yea that is me. If you give me a rule, I will generally be happy to follow it. In high school I was a model student. I never got close to any alcohol or drugs (now you know that I really enjoy my wine now, but I never touched the stuff before I was 25). I never attended anything that could be considered a party. And Dave was the first man I kissed. While at Asbury I never danced, drank or smoked. I always wore the right length skirt, and was always home by curfew. I always wear my seatbelt, and always register for conferences on time.

I always attend church on Sundays and generally attend a Sunday school of some sort. I have always been in some sort of accountability group or small group Bible study and have often been asked to lead said groups. I try to read my Bible and pray everyday.

Do I really need to go on? You get it...I am a moral person.

The problem is that I could never quite be moral enough and always had this voice in my head condemning me for not being good enough. I could never go forward for enough alter calls...and I could never give "all" of myself to Jesus and so felt that I could never get "all" of him (you know the saying give all of me to Jesus for all of him). I just always felt that I held onto some of me. It was never good enough.

THe thing is that for the past 10 years as I have been exploring scripture and a deeper understanding of theology I have realized how my morality has gotten in the way of my relationship with God. And ultimately how being a moral person has little to do with knowing God. I was trying to come to God with all of my goodness making me acceptable...but I read the Bible everyday, God...but I have never done anything "bad". And then with all of my goodness attached to me I would make demands...why am I sick? why aren't I married? why are all these "bad" people getting things that I want? They prob don't read their Bible everyday...why are you giving them good gifts? My goodness got in the way of seeing Christ.

For the last 10 years I have been trying to undo that way of thinking...understanding that I was dead in sin and Christ searched me out, found me, and brought me back to life. That I can do nothing to gain favor in his eyes. That my morality has nothing to do with my justification. Reading my Bible and wearing my seatbelt doesn't gain any brownie points or give me a bigger crown.

All of these things put together are just some of the reasons I have concerns about things like Veggie Tales. I don't want the girls to grow up thinking if they just do right they can please God.

OK, so the point of all this rambling is, as I have mentioned before, we are studying Galatians...which has been fabulous. It is always so refreshing to dive into a book and have new things revealed. So, part of the study this week was looking at morality (the morality of the Pharisees) and seeing how it gets in the way of the gospel. I need to stop adding things to the gospel that puts up barriers...things like drinking, dancing, smoking, being a Republican...can be barriers to the Gospel. Enough said...you can follow this link to read or listen to the sermon on The Prodigal Sons. And maybe after you have listened or read you will understand Dave and I a bit more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this, Ami! I appreciate your honesty... I've been struggling with this part of myself for quite some time as well. Love you! ~laura