Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bowing to the Porcelain

Lots of folks have been asking me how I am feeling this prego time around, and honestly I think that I am doing pretty well. I have my moments, but I feel like mentally I have a better game strategy than when I was prego with HC.

Some of you may wonder what my strategy is, and I will tell you...laying on the couch does wonders. I only get up when I have to, and I only leave the house either when I have to, or when I am feeling decent enough to leave. I pretty much don't do anything I don't want to do, except feed Hadleigh and change her diapers. If it is not a necessity, it is a luxury and I don't have to do it if I don't feel well. I also consume a lot of crackers.

I also try to keep my humor about things, which I think you have to do while puking. I have decided with all of my experience I could really write a coffee table book about this subject. I am thinking about devoting one entire chapter to the dry heave. I mean really, what is its purpose? After my third attempt at puking one day I asked Dave what he thought the purpose was. He suggested that it might be a good abdominal work out since all I do is lay on the couch. My stomach muscles are building strength to be able to push out the baby. That is one idea. So then I asked him why people heave when they aren't prego. He didn't seem to have a good answer to that one.

Sorry to be a bit graphic, but welcome to my lovely world. I honestly do feel in good spirits and while I hate being sick, I have lots of support from Dave, so that helps. I knew that having another baby would mean paying many visits to the porclain throne, so this all was sort of my own choosing.

I will end with one last puking thought. Several women have mentioned what I am assuming are meant to be encouraging words to Dave and I about the whole prego puking thing. The encouragement is that at least if you are puking you won't gain as much weight. Just in case you were one of the poor souls who have had that thought...I will mock you here on my blog and not directly to your face...unless I continue to hear that and my grace for that day has already been spent. First if you have just said something as dumb as that you have probably never spent more than a day in front of the toilet. Second I haven't ever meant anyone that considers bulimia a good way to loose weight. If given the choice I would take the extra 20 pounds over sitting at the toilet.

Finally. I am thrilled to be prego and carrying a baby. I would never trade my situation. I would never wish all-day-sickness on anyone else, so if you don't have it, don't worry I am not channeling the spirits against you! This is a season for me, and I am happy to walk through it, knowing that it will end in time.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh Ami, I've obviously been totally out of the loop - I had no idea you'd been so sick! I'm so sorry. Look at it this way ... at least you won't gain as much weight!