Friday, August 11, 2006

Singing with Hadleigh

When Hadleigh was born there were a lot of things we had to figure. One of which was how to soothe her and help her go to sleep. One of the things that we learned is that when she is upset she likes to be held really tight and close. She likes to be rocked, and she likes her butt patted. I do have dreams for time to time about her being 18 and asking me to pat her butt so she can go to sleep, but hopefully she will grow out of that.

Of course, she is 5 months now and is capable of going to sleep on her own, but occassionaly she gets really upset and needs to be comforted. The way I comfort her is holding her tight against me, patting her butt, and singing to her. There are usually two songs that I will sing. Either Soon and Very Soon, which is a hymn redone by Red Mountain Church, or a song I learned at Intown based off of Zephaniah 3.17. The song goes as follows:

The Lord our God, is with you.
He is mighty to save
The Lord will take great delight in you.
He will quiet you with his love.

He will rejoice over you.
He will rejoice over you.
If you could only hear his voice
You would hear the Lord rejoice
Rejoicing over you with singing


Last night Hadleigh was upset, and Dave was out late golfing. I took her out of her crib and rocked her, and patted her butt and sang to her. As I sang to her, Hadleigh joined in. Obviously she wasn't singing the words I was singing, but she was cooing in rhythm with me. She has done that before, but last night I found it especially wonderful. Just Hadleigh and I, rocking in the living room, singing together about the Lord's goodness and his delight in his people.

No comments: