Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Baby Fat

Having been around a lot of pregos before I actually became one, I determined not to care about how much weight I gained while prego. I wasn’t going to stress about it, I knew I would be diligent to loose the weight post-prego. I am also of the opinion that you can’t really determine how much weight you are going to gain. I have known little girls who gained 80 pounds and big girls who gained 15 pounds, and everything in between. I figured that whatever was going to happen, would happen and as long as I didn’t eat fast food every day I should just be happy. In my head, I assumed I would gain a TON of weight, and I was mentally prepared.

Of course, being sick for the first 20 weeks I didn’t gain any weight until I hit 22 weeks, and even then it was only a pound. I eventually made up for not gaining weight in the first half of my prego days.

Since Hadleigh was born I have lost the prego weight, but don’t be deceived. I might be the same weight as pre-prego days, but I am soft. About a month after Hadleigh came around I popped in my normal Fat-Burning Yoga video that my old roomies and I would do regularly. I could hardly make it through the video…and the abs section. Forget it! I couldn’t do one full sit-up. Not one!

Determined to do something Dave ordered us a video set from Beachbody, it is called P90X, and it has 14 different DVDs ranging from cardio to yoga to shoulders and arms. It is an intense 90 day, everyday workout program. Now, I have to admit, I have not become an insane work-out person, but for the last 6 weeks I have basically worked out every week day. Pretty impressive, especially with a baby. But she isn’t mobile and I get it in while she naps, or she sits in her bouncer and watches me. On the 16 minute Abs DVD I went from being able to do almost zero of the workout to now doing 20 reps of all the exercises (I am working up to 25).

I still have all that crazy extra skin around my tummy and I hear that won’t go away until I quite nursing, but that is cool. I am not as soft as I was 6 weeks ago. You can actually see some muscles in my arms and shoulders.

Dave is working it too. He gets up at 5 to complete his workout, and he is looking good.

No comments: