Monday, January 10, 2011

Grandma Gladys Claire

I realize that I neglected to blog about our family's trip to visit my Grandmother last fall.  The whole thing happened very quickly, as in we decided about 3 weeks prior to our trip.  Things began to normalize with True and we knew at some point we wanted to take all three kiddos up to NY to visit her.  I was thinking that was a trip we would take in the spring, but why not move it up a few months?

My Grandmother actually lives in New Jersey, right on the Hudson River, with a fabulous view of the George Washington Bridge and Manhattan.  I have wonderful memories of visiting my Grandmother when I was little.  Bet you did not know that I actually lived in New Jersey for 3 years of my life...from 2 until 5. Very formative years.  While we visited Grandma and I were recounting all the Broadway shows we can remember attending together (not just when I was 2, but when I would go to visit).  I remember "Annie", "The Secret Garden", "42nd Street", "Crazy for You", "Phantom of the Opera", and I remember going to see the Nutcracker a few times.  Ah...seeing the Nutcracker in NYC is like none other.
My Grandmother has three children, Dad, my Uncle Peter, and my Aunt Kathy, and she has 7 grandchildren, but I am the only granddaughter, so we have a very special relationship.  She is a super cool lady.  When she starts laughing it is hard to get her to stop, and I love that...I guess I come by it honestly since that seems to have passed from her to Dad and then to me.  Laughing with Grandma is the best.  All that said, it is probably no surprise that my oldest is named for her.  Hadleigh Claire loves her Great Grandma Gladys Claire.

So, early in November we packed up all the kiddos, boarded a plane and took off an exciting adventure.  We had a wonderful time visiting with Grandma and my Aunt and Uncle who are dear people.  While we were close to the city we took the fam to visit Lady Liberty.  The girls loved every minute of the boat ride, and running around the park looking up at the Lady.  Dave had never been there, and I think I was about HC's age the last time I had been to the park.

After a few days we jumped into our upgraded SUV (thank goodness our rental car agent took one look at us and had mercy) and drove up to Lake Placid.  What should have been a 4 hour drive took 10 hours (so it seemed).  It started sleeting and icing after we had been on the road for an hour, and we started seeing cars in ditches.  I figure you know that the roads are bad when New Yorkers are in ditches.  Thank God we made it to our little cabin.  And thank God the folks who own the cabin decided to put a few bites of food in it because we thought there was NO way we would ever get back to the main road (since the driveway was straight up).  Of course as soon as we woke up the next morning I realized I had 1 diaper left for True...and wouldn't you know within an hour had pooped through it.  Thank God for Dave who bravely went out to fetch diapers.

After we adjusted to the VERY small one room cabin (read Ami had melt-down and had to change her expectations of her time there), we had a wonderful time of being together.  We watched movies, we enjoyed taking "baths" in the hot tub that overlooked the mountains and valleys, and we worked through our issues with each other.  If you are all staying in the same room you cannot ignore irritations, whether they be with your children or your husband.  At one point Dave said he thought we should always rent one room cabins, so that we have to be close...I almost agree. =)

And one final thing, Dave shaved his head while we were up in the cabin.  I happened to mention that he needed a haircut, and well...

No comments: