Monday, July 27, 2009

Thank Goodness for My MH

Last summer either me or one of my crazy mommy friends came up with the great (or not so great) idea of doing a kid swap. There were 4 of us so we rotated hosting the four 2-year olds at our home from 9.30-1. After my first week watching all four kiddos and Annelise (who was 6 months) I thought it was truly the dumbest idea ever! And having 3 mornings off from Hadleigh was certainly not worth the pain of those 3 hours. We then enlisted the help of a couple mother's helpers. There were 3 or 4 girls who helped us out. The girls were under 12 and it seemed really enjoyed helping us out, and it was cheap labor.

Now, I will give my rant on babysitting. When I begin to babysit at 12 years old I made $1.50 an hour. Big money! Even when I was in high school I never made more than $3.00, and when I was in college I made $5/hour and that was when I could drive. I never made more than minimum wage as a babysitter. I am not sure at what point it became a norm to pay babysitters so much. Now, I have no problem paying an adult a decent wage to watch my children...but the thought of paying a 13 year old $8-10 an hour...it almost makes my stomach turn. I know, I am cheap...but ugh! I think it is especially difficult because our girls go to bed so early that generally I am paying someone to make sure the house doesn't burn down. Ah well...anyway...what to do...one day I will not have to pay a babysitter.

So, anyway, about my mother's helpers (MH). I had such a great experience with these girls last year, that I thought I would forgo the kiddo swap this summer, and just get a mother's helper one day a week. It is the most fabulous idea ever! I have two girls who come over and help me once a week. The fun thing is that I have known both girls since they were about 2 years old, and one of the gals, Alex, was my flower girl...ah...

Honestly, I think, this has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I cannot begin to tell you the things that I manage to get done in 2-3 hours while the girls play with my MH. My pantry is organized, my refrigerator is clean, baseboards are dusted, I even vacuumed underneath my bed (not sure that I have done that since we moved). And the girls are so happy. They love Alex and May May, and ask for them regularly.

The one hard thing is that if the girls, particaularly Annelise, see me they really want me to come and help them with something, but the MH is generally good at distracting them. But I try to stay upstairs or in the back rooms away from the girls. Trust me I have plenty to do in those rooms.

This week is my last week with my MH. We are almost in August and school will begin for them, and that means I loose my help. But I am looking forward to my month of August, and then after Labor Day my girls will be in preschool. HC will go for 2 days and Annelise will go for 1 day. I now have a great idea of what I can accomplish with both out of the house. I can hardly wait!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

one thing to remember with babysitters, now its common to go through the babysitting course through the YMCA or something similar. So because there is a certification process (which I like all my babysitters to have attended) then they should get paid more just like someone with a master's should get paid more. But I tell my babysitter's up front that I charge differently when a kid is sleeping or not sleeping as well as 1-2 children. Its not a big difference but I feel its important that they must do something to get paid so much.
-sara

M & M said...

And how would I go about finding a MH? How much do you pay them? Do both come at the same time? I am intrigued because I too cringe at the thought of cost per hour of babysitters these days.

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

i would ask around in your church, find a mom who has a responsible 10 or 11 year old daughter. i pay the 11 year old $5 for the morning, i just asked the mom what she thought and that was the amount we agreed upon. Alex has actually told me that i do not have to pay her...what a sweet girl! i pay the 12 year old $4/hour, which seems to be fair since she is actually able to babysit (legal age is 12 in GA) and she has received her "masters" in babysitting. it is the best $12 i spend.

Brea said...

It is such a great thing. I will really be able to enjoy that next year when Nate doesn't need me quite as often for nourishment! :)

Christy said...

Phil's out of town this week, so it cost me $32 to attend a baby shower last night. And Andrew was asleep the whole time. And I took the baby with me. I'm not complaining about the sitter - she's a doll - but yeah, ouch.