Thursday, July 16, 2009

News from the Potty

Annelise is amazing. We have come a LONG way since her first crazy days. While we were in Colorado, Annelise decided that diapers were over-rated and were not necessary anymore. Seriously. My crazy 19 month old continually told me when she needed to use the bathroom. What? So, the Monday after our trip I got her up, put her in some of Hadleigh's Elmo panties and thought, "let the fun times begin!"

She has done amazingly well, and I am in awe. She has had about 1 accident a day, some days she has had two and some days she has had none. Usually the accidents occur when there are some decent distractions...shocking. She doesn't even use her diaper when she sleeps, I cannot mention how many times I have gone in to get her to find a dry diaper...even when I get her in the morning!

Today we had a busy day out of the house. First to the salon, then to pick up Jess and Amy and take them to the airport (25 minute drive) and then of course drove home. I did decide it was a good idea to put her in a diaper before we drove the airport...hard to pull over on the fwy. But it was not until the way home that she mentioned she needed to pee, and she actually was able to hold it until I could pull off into the Publix shopping center. I was shocked!

Now Annelise is addicted to skittles, so we might have to go to something else, like frozen grapes or blueberries. I am just amazed at my crazy, determined daughter. This morning at the salon my hair dresser remarked at how far Annelise has come. She said, you could market her! "Hell for 6 months, but then she potty trains herself at 20 months." Who knew!

The best part about the whole thing is, well actually there are several, so I will list them.
1. Whenever Annelise goes potty, HC is right there cheering her on. HC is the first tell Annelise that she has done a great job, and accepts that she will not get a treat for Annelise's accomplishments. I love the sister-love there.
2. Annelise's expression whenever she sits on the toilet and actually makes something is the best. She gives a huge grin of pleasure that is so sweet and makes me want to grin and celebrate too, everytime.
3. I just love that I can communicate with Annelise. She is amazing, and it so fun to see more of her little personality come out, even in potty training...only she would demand to do this now.

On a separate note, we are making progress with HC and the poop situation. I think we have had 4-5 poops on the potty in the last week. That is MAJOR progress, and I love it! I think Annelise is helping to motivate HC.

2 comments:

CP said...

Kids ARE fun!!

Brea said...

Go Annelise!