Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Garden


I thought that I should give an update on the garden. It is coming along which is pretty amazing. We have been enjoying the basil and cilantro. Oh yum! We love bruscetta and guacamole, and it is super fun to just walk a couple yards and snip off a few sprigs.

My poor peppers are being eaten by something, so I picked up a little spray at the store the other day...after all organic doesn't mean no pesticides! And this one said it was safe to use up to the day of harvest. Nonetheless the peppers are coming along. And the tomatoes...we have so many of them it is crazy. Only one has turned red, but it looks like we will soon have more tomatoes than we will know what to do with!

I had a little drama with the tomato cages. Well, I wasn't convinced that I needed a cage because I had these stakes that I bought in Germany...yea. So, I have been on the hunt for cages for the past 3 weeks. Pikes is out...Home Depot is out...Walmart is out...Lowes is out...did I mention I tried multiple stores of each. I finally found the only stakes left in Atlanta and bought 3. Now, try to stuff huge, overgrown tomato "bushes" into the cages...ugh. It was not pretty, but I did it without maiming the plants too much.
I also have either butternut squash or zucchini growing. I am not sure which it is. I planted both in this row and only one has popped up. At first I thought it was butternut squash because of the shape, and then I thought maybe it isn't because it has stripes like zucchini. Whatever it is we will be VERY happy. I am jsut glad taht something has decided to grow.

1 comment:

M & M said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Our garden has been a disaster just about every year and yet we still try again. This year it was only peppers and tomatoes and herbs. The herbs are doing OK but the peppers--not one yet and half dead-- and the tomatoes we have had about 3-4 mini tomatoes (meaning they ripen before they grow) and now half dead. Could be the 100+ heat everyday for the past 2 weeks... :(
(do you have to water everyday?)