Sunday, June 07, 2009

Ah...the Beach!

I must admit that I am not a huge fan of the beach. I know that is crazy to admit since I grew up in Cali, a few miles from the beach...but somehow maybe I just got too much of a good thing. Around here, everyone LOVES the beach and they pack up their families to head to the beach for a week. That is what folks do for vaca. I don't know...again maybe because I grew up going so much during the summer it seems weird to go on a special vacation there. I know, I am weird. Whatev.

So, in my 8 or so yeard of living in GA I have never been to a GA beach...or a SC beach or a NC beach...and actually I have only been to a FL beach once. Actually years ago I went to Cocoa Beach in FL, but other than that the only FL beach I have been to is Clearwater Beach. That is actually a crazy story in itself. You see, my bud Micah was getting married in Clearwater. And I did not know one single soul besides Micah (and his bride, Kelly), so I asked my bud Brea to go with me. And because we were poor social workers at the time, we ended up sleeping with our friend, Katie's parents...kinda random. Anyway, so the plan was the go to the wedding, which is a whole crazy story...they ended up lighting the unity candle with two lighters because the air conditioning kept blowing out the candles...and then after the reception to hit the beach. As we left the reception, which was NOT in the ghetto of Clearwater, but at a nice hotel, we noticed that one of my tires was slashed. Seriously! What? We got towed...I got a new tire...we hit Clearwater Beach...and then this random drunk dude came and harassed us...yea it was all odd. And then we ate at a Greek restaurant for dinner. OK, random, yea that was 10 years ago.

All that to say, I have never been to the beach, really, since living in GA. Last summer Dave's parents went to Tybee Island, which is just outside Savannah and talked about how great it was, perfect for the fam, etc, so we began thinking it might be fun to head down there at some point.

Last Monday I booked a place on Tybee for this weekend. I am not that much of a last minute girl, but I got a great deal, and Dave LOVES when we do things without planning. Although he did agree that we could find a place to sleep. =) We left Atl Thursday night and got off to a rocky start. It seems that everyone thought it would be a good idea to get into an accident that night, so traffic was a nightmare. And it was raining cats and dogs... And of course, both girls wanted to stay up as long as possible, so finally at 10 we shut off the video to try to encourage sleep. And then somewhere around 1030 Annelise vomitted...foul! So...yea, good times. Dave goes, "if this is any indication of how the weekend is going to go, we are in trouble!"

But, once we actually arrived, and got the girls down again (because once we arrived at the condo they thought it was morning or something). We had a great time. I have nothing to compare it to...at least nothing in the south to compare it to. As far as beach in Cali, it reminded me of Pt. Hueneme, only because of the pier and the jetty...and then also a bit like Silver Strand as far as housing goes. We had a great place and were able to park the car and walk everywhere. It was SO nice. The girls LOVED the beach, although HC kept calling it the "big river". The girls loved playing in the sand and loved jumping in the big waves with Dave.

We also took a little trip out to Fort Pulaski, which if you haven't ever been to...you should. It is super cool. It actually reminded me of the fortress in Bitche, France. And while at the fort we got to see/hear a cannon firing.

I think we will go back, though I still cannot imagine spending a week there. A weekend is just the right amount of time for me. We like to explore too many places to spend a lot of time in the same place, but again who knows, it might grow on me.

2 comments:

Brea said...

Glad you got to experience an east coast beach!

Remembering the trip to Clearwater made me laugh! I seem to recall the guy on the beach trying to be all suave and plopping down next to us really awkwardly and hard and then literally throwing some credit card in our direction to try to impress us. I'd forgotten about the slashed tire...how could I? We should have kept the credit card to pay for the tire! Good times...we're long overdue for a road trip! :)

angie said...

oh, ami, i'm so glad you loved tybee! i spent a summer there as counselor at fresh air home, if you saw 100 kids on the beach in a sand outlined box, that was them! and fort pulaski, that was the field trip of hell day, taking 20 girls there who might jump off something or otherwise get in trouble, but i am glad you loved it!