Thursday, May 14, 2009

Girls Weekend

A couple weeks ago I was able to take a much deserved weekend away. I actually decided it was my first "Girls Weekend" in 5 years. I don't count going on a women's retreat as a girls weekend away...it is just not the same thing. So, anyway, the last time I went away with women for no other reason than to be together was over 5 years ago, right before we moved to Germany.

So a couple weeks ago I flew up to Rochester, NY to be with my college buddies, Elaine and Jen. Elaine and Jen were my next door neighbors my freshman year in college. My last girls weekend was actually with these two girls, so it was fun to be together again. We chose Rochester because Jen is still nursing her youngest, Levi. Everyone has been asking me, why Rochester? Anyway, that is why Rochester.

This idea was actually hatched last fall. Elaine called me and said, let's do something the first weekend in May...I don't care what, where, etc. I put it on my calendar and then in January we began making plans.

Elaine and I flew in on Friday and went straight to lunch and then to get a mani/pedi. This has been a theme of our weekends away! It was fab! I actually got a french manicure because I knew that it would last at least 3 days (since I knew I was not going to have to wash my hands after changing diapers multiple times over the weekend).

We had a great time crashing at Jen's and her husband Dan took great care of her kids, so we could enjoy every waking moment possible. Elaine and I, in true extrovert fashion stayed up until 3am both nights. Oh the conversations we had were SO wonderful!

I know that I could write more, but I just do not have time. So, to sum up, it was wonderful. It was so fun to be with friends I have known for almost 15 years. It was fabulous to just pick up right where we left off, and to have the opportunity to speak into each others lives. And it is just comforting to know that there are women out there that really love me and get me, and have loved me for a long time, even when I was a freak in college (and I was a freak). I look forward to the day we can introduce all the kiddos to one another, oh what fun that day will be!

2 comments:

Brea said...

Nothing better!

M & M said...

so when are you heading this way? :)