Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Verdict Is In

Thanks to all who commented and shared advise and opinions about our car search. Apparently we are quick decision makers, or actually, I should say Dave is a quick decision maker. This actually wasn't a decision we were planning on making anytime soon, just before the end of the year. However we did know that as we browsed occasionally, if we found something, we were ready to write the check.

This week we bantered back and forth. We flip-flopped a lot. We looked at Land Rovers (fun!) and BMWx5 (super fun!) and Acura MDX (awesome!). I gave Dave a list of criteria...if he could find me an SUV that is a stick-shift and fits 3 car seats across the back, in our price range and not 20 years old...yea...yea.

We had been reviewing Craig's List to see what price range cars were being sold, what year, etc. On Wednesday he sent me a link for a 2005 Toyota Sienna that was in our price range. He was all excited about it (though I was still stuck on the BMW), and wanted to look at it on Friday. It was being sold at a clearance dealership, which basically buys trade-ins off dealership lots, trade-ins that dealers won't resell because they are too old (dealers won't sell cars older than 5 years because it is hard to finance a car older than 5 years), or whatever the reason. The clearance place marks up the cars $300-500 from what they paid the dealer, so the price is good for buyers. The rub is that the clearance place turns over cars by the hour, so the Sienna he saw on Wednesday was sold by Friday morning. However dude told Dave he just got in a clean Odyssey that was worth a peak and added we should come immediately because it would likely be gone quickly.

We piled the kids in the car and as we pulled out of our neighborhood Dave leaned over and asked if I brought a check with me. I laughed...we don't need a check, I said...because we aren't going to be buying anything. I think he was a little frustrated, but turned around and kindly asked me to get a check just in case. I humored him and off we were to a distant Atlanta suburb. The clearance place actually reminded me of the place we bought our 1984 Mercedes Benz when we lived in Germany. It is on the same street as Vogelweh in Kaiserslautern. Funny enough, the dude who runs the clearance place here in Atlanta is Irish (though he speaks as someone from the south), and the dude in K-town who ran the car place was Irish too. OK, silly connection, but ah well.


The car was beautiful, 2003, silver, loaded, leather, dvd player, etc. Dave was busy checking all the parts, under the hood, under the whatever (I am glad he knows something about cars!). Before he took it for a drive around the block I asked the dealer the price (as it wasn't marked on the car). I literally almost laughed in his face when he told me the price, as it was less than half what the Honda dealers were charging for their 2004 Odysseys that did not have leather. And honestly this 2003 was a lot cleaner, no major spots on the carpet, etc. Dave took it for a drive and we went in to write our check.

We arrived at the clearance place at 10 and by 1030 Dave was writing the check. It was hilarious. But it was just WAY too good of a deal to pass up. Dave always wants a steal of a deal, and I was encouraging him that we should just look for a deal...well he got his steal. And I really feel like the Lord led us to the right place at the right time with the right car. That might seem a bit cheesy, but I do think he cares where we lay our heads at night, when we sit and when we rise, as well as what we drive. We so desired to pay with cash and to stay within our budget and I was afraid we might have to get a loan which we REALLY did not want. I think he honored our desires and provided in a wonderful way.

So, now I am a true mom. I have my carpool numbers on my front windshield of my minivan. It makes me feel really old, and it does not feel like me at all when I drive it, but I am thankful...and will be even more thankful when I drive the girls up to Knoxville by myself and can pop in The Muppet Movie for Miss Hadleigh Claire.

By the way, HC is obsessed with vans. She loves them, and I am not sure why. She is always trying to climb into other peoples...it is weird. So, she is super excited about it all. We had family fun day and went to the park this morning. After a while I said, "OK, let's go to the car!" And she corrected me, "No Mama, it's a van". OK, HC!

5 comments:

Brea said...

Wow, that's great! Congrats!

Sarah said...

Looks so nice! I'm excited for you guys!

M & M said...

Sounds exactly like Michael...we have now bought 2 cars almost immediately--one immediately, one the next day (we did not have a check)

Anonymous said...

i had a fascination with minivans, too, when i was a kid, hadleigh and i will have to talk! we still think you're super cool, even with the van!:)

Christy said...

Where have I been to just know this? I didn't even notice what you were getting into this afternoon! Great deal - congrats!