Tuesday, September 16, 2008

To Minivan or Not to Minivan

The time has come. Fear not, our faithful Buick has not bitten the dust, in fact it is going strong, however, we are nearing a point of decision. We are hoping to buy a new-to-us car in the next 4 months and are trying to decide what we should be looking for.

At this point, we are undecided and we are not in agreement. Dave wants an SUV and I would prefer a minivan...well, you see I would not prefer a minivan, but given our current circumstance I would prefer a minivan. There are many people on both sides of the spectrum who have tried to convince of us the "correct" side, but we remain undetered.

The sides:
Dave=SUV
1. Cooler than a mini
2. Can tow our boat (hmmm...what boat?)
3. Can use for camping/fishing/off-roading

Ami=Mini
1. Practical- has room for more than 2 carseats and still room in the trunk for strollers/pack n' plays/groceries.
2. Is smaller than a suburban.
3. Drives smoother than a truck/SUV

There are other issues, but these are the ones that continually come up. Here is the thing. Everyone in favor of SUVs are like...oh, but there are so many SUVs with 3rd row seats like Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, etc. So we went car shopping over the weekend and looked at Honda- the Odyssey and the Pilot. Let me tell you people...there is a way you can have 3 children and own a Pilot, but forget about having anything more than your stroller in the trunk if you have that 3rd row up. I know it is the same with the Highlander. Once that 3rd row is up and used as seating there is zero trunk space. If we were only going to have 2 children (which the jury is still out on), the Pilot of Highlander would be a viable option, but it doesn't make much sense to buy one at this point. I thought all that was a strike against SUVs. Dave, however, is unconvinced.

Now, he is certain we need a Toyota Sequoia, or a Suburban...I mean...really? Those are monstrous! And I have told him I refuse to drive it. He is slightly winning me with an offer of a BMWx5. Those are lovely cars and come in manual, and I am so wanting to have a stick! But they do not even offer a 3rd row seat, so I think even with this bribe I will stand my ground.

I think there will be a day in my future where I will be able to own the car of my choice, but I fear this is not that day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ami,
SUV/ Mini-van, drop your child off at school and not get out, sounds like someone is becoming a suburbium mom? The question of the day, do you have big hair and lots of make-up yet? J/k, I have a ford explorer mainly b/c we like the towing factor. When we move, we will most likely tow our other car. But I do envy the convienence of the mini that most of my friends have.

Sara A

Allison said...

I'm not trying to play sides, just offering some (unwarranted) input;). We own a Pilot and I have realy enjoyed having it. It's built on the Odyssey's frame (or something like that) so it drives more like a mini-van than a truck. We have John David's car seat in the middle of the backseat and we are able to fit his ginormous carseat (Britax Boulevard) and my nephews and their booster seats comfortably on either side of John David's seat. We've only used the 3rd row seat twice to actually carry people and it was a comfortable ride for the people who rode in the back seat, two of which were tall men. It is a pain, however, to get in and out of the 3rd row seat. When the seat is down you can haul loads of stuff back there. Our good friends own the Odyssey and it has some really nice features so either would be a great choice. I'm not really sure which I'm casting a vote for and since you have to moderate this comment anyway, feel free to delete!

Brea said...

Not having crossed that bridge yet, I have no words of wisdom or advice, but I look forward to learning from your research on the topic. :)

jessrings said...

So are you going to sell the Buick? I might know a deserving (or desperate) owner....

Christy said...

Maybe your inlaws will drop a mini-van in your lap to "watch" for them while they live in some far away state ... it could happen.

Anonymous said...

I must say we went on a very LONG camping/ vacation/backpacking and visiting inlaws trip with our minivan...Toyota Sienna and it worked great... Becky Mac