Thursday, August 07, 2008

Miss Hadleigh Claire is 29 Months


Next month the little miss will be 2.5 years old! Wowee, she is getting SO big. I suppose every age comes with its fun and challenges. Being the Mama of a 29 month old and a 9 month old certainly humbles me a LOT, and drives me to ask for lots of wisdom and grace...but that is probably a post for another day.

Still a great sleeper, Hadleigh is going to bed around 6.30pm and waking up around 7 or 7.30am. In the afternoon she might stay up in her room for 4 hours! That is insane. She does not sleep the entire time, but so enjoys being in her bed in her room. Her bed is covered with stuffed animals who all have names. If one is missing it is noticed immediately and all is not well until we have found "monkey" or "white bear". When she is not sleeping she enjoys playing with her animals in her bed. Yesterday morning I went to get her up and she kindly commanded me to leave her alone because she was not quite ready to get up. A couple weeks ago I was putting her to be and moved one of her animals from between the wall and her matress and she immediately corrected me, put giraffe back in the crack and informed me that giraffe was taking a bath. It is so fun to see her little imagination take shape.

Associated with being sleep/rooms/bed is the fact that HC has now figured out she can get out of bed when she wants. Yesterday I was down feeding Annelise breakfast when I thought I heard footsteps down the hall. I convinced myself that HC was just banging her bed against the wall, but when I turned the corner she was coming down the stairs. This concerns me a little, but so far she has only gotten out of bed in the morning. Here's to hoping that she does not abuse this new found power.

Sharing. Ah yes, what 2 year old does not struggle with this concept? HC is no different. Fortunately for her, she has a sister that daily brings up this subject and gives us an opportunity to practice taking turns. I am sure once Annelise begins to crawl it will become even more fun!

HC is not the most verbal child, so communicating sometimes becomes a problem. It is so hard not to know what your child wants, and it leads to frustration on both sides. We are trying to teach her to ask for help and to use words to explain what she needs. She has become better at this, and I know with time and more vocabulary this will only improve.

I have realized that I need to be more gracious in my treatment of the little miss and view our interactions as a training time, as opposed to a power struggle. For example, she cannot even say please everytime she wants something, so I always remind her. If my child cannot even say please why in the world would I think that she will come the first time I call her, or obey immediately, or always say "yes, ma'am". Apparently "No" is the standard response to anything you ask a 2 year old, even if the answer is "yes". This drives me nutso because I think it is so disrespectful. HOwever I have realized that getting angry about it does little good, so I gently remind her that the correct response is, "Yes, ma'am" and I figure one of these days she will catch on.

The other day the girls were playing and I was washing dishes and I heard Hadleigh reading to Annelise. It was so sweet to see HC sitting next to Annelise explaining all the pictures and telling her the general story..."the caterpillar ate a strawberry, and oh cake, happy birthday cake! yummy, orange, oh see the sun baby?"

Miss HC loves the pool. We have so much fun going! She loves jumping and dunking and blowing bubbles and "swimming" to Dada and to Mama.


Friends are a very important part of the little Miss' life. She asks to see them daily and every night runs through a list of her friends as we pray for them by name. In the fall she will begin preschool 2 days a week which will enable her to see her friends more often. We have had such a wonderful summer so far that I feel a little sad about school starting. However I know she has such a fun time and it is a wonderful outlet for her, so I know she will be happy to begin.

She has had a recent obsession with her Aunt Rubie (Wubie). She talks about her often, and I will see her looking out the window pointing, as if she has just seen Aunt Wubie. She cannot seem to remember Uncle Chris, but we are working on it.

I am trying to think of what else to say. She is crazy, hilarious, and so much fun to be around. I love my big girl!

3 comments:

Jean Joiner said...

what a cutie. i just LOVE that haircut. :)

M & M said...

my husband was looking at your blog and declared HC a beautiful little girl! (and reminded me again that he is eager to have a little girl like that too :) I just hope this time there are no surprises---)

Anonymous said...

Funny, Matt is pretty impressed with aunt "Wubie" too. She makes a great impression on the little ones! Here's hoping we are able to connect this weekend...