Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Addendum

A couple things.

1. One thing that made my transition harder was this Wonder Woman complex I have. I want to do everything, and I want to do everything well. Best mom, wife, friend, hostess, house cleaner, etc. I want everyone to think I can do it all, find the best deal at the grocery store, cook a great meal, keep the house clean, finish my Bible study. It was an impossible feat for me. Once Christmas arrived and I realized I was far from being out of the woods, my standard of a good day was everyone alive at the end of the day. If I had more normal expectations it might have been easier for me. I was nervous about my transition, especially given the age of Hadleigh, but I was sure I would be fine. I knew I would handle it and handle it well. After the first month, survival seemed more important than anything else, though my expectations died hard.

2. My poor thumb is in pain. After living with my wonderful green kitchen for a couple weeks I decided that we definitely needed to paint the family room (which flows into the kitchen as the house is split level). We looked at paint chips on Saturday and with the help of Angie and Lisa picked a wonderful yellowish-gold color. Dave picked up the paint on Sunday and I went to work. Painting wood paneling is not very fun. Last night I took a small brush and painted in the grooves around the room. My fingers kept going numb (guess I was not holding the brush correctly), but I think it is finished. I'll post a couple pics when I have cleaned up and moved the furniture back in place.

3. Yesterday before Hadleigh's nap she was asking to pray. We usually pray before she goes to sleep at night so it was a little unusual, but not uncharacteristic of her. She kept saying "Pray Jopee, Pray Jopee". It was an odd request. She usually will ask to pray for one of her animals, like the crazy life-like frog she received after attending a recent birthday party. Anyway, I had to tell her that I had NO idea what she wanted to pray about, but she was insistent. It then all clicked. She wanted to pray for Joe P. Joe P and his family used to attend our church and are dear friends with some of our dear friends. Last fall Joe P was diagnosed with a brain tumor. A couple weeks ago Hadleigh and I began praying for him together. It is so sweet to see how she will remember and brings up things for us to pray for. so, Joe P and family, the little miss is praying for you!

4. Hadleigh has several special friends, and one of them is Brennan. Brennan is the son of John and Brea, who I have known for going on 10 years, and Brennan and Hadleigh are 6 weeks apart in age. Brea had an early morning errand to run yesterday, so Brennan came and spent the night. Originally we wanted HAdleigh and Brennan to sleep in the same room, Hadleigh in her bed and Brennan in her crib. After listening to them play and giggle for an hour (also having to go up a couple times because Hadleigh was jumping on the bed landed on the floor), we moved Hadleigh into another room. They woke up yesterday morning happy and enjoyed spending the morning playing. When Brea arrived to pick him up she suggested that Brennan give Hadleigh a hug. They hugged, which is the cutest thing ever! And then Brea asked him to hug Hadleigh again because it was SO cute and this time after the hug, he leaned in and gave her a kiss! I mean, he cocked his head to one side and went in for the kill. Wow! I even felt a little uncomfortable. Watch out for Brennan, he is an animal!

1 comment:

Brea said...

I guess he knows a cute girl when he sees one!