Sunday, July 01, 2007

So, It Is 1145...

and for some insane reason I haven't been able to sleep for the last couple of nights. So trying to blow off some steam and calm my mind down I have been surfing...I know that is really a way to calm down the mind!

So I have been pondering this whole Emergent Church idea. Honestly I have no idea what it really is...and from what I can tell, no one really knows. It is a whole lot of everything and a whole lot of nothing. It seems to range in spectrum from denouncing preaching, and removing anything that might be dated pre-2006, and theology...forget it...to looking at how to be more missional and relevant to the community.

Intown's old pastor, Scot Sherman always used to ask us if Intown disappeared from Lavista Road would anyone care? I know that Intown has also kept their bulletins with the order of worship, including have all the liturgy and even the Lord's Prayer written out for people. Does this count as being an Emergent Church?

Dave visited a church this summer that was emergent. There was no sermon, but only a fellowship and "story" time. I am sure the church serves its purpose, but I would probably want to shoot myself in the head if I had to go there.

There are times when I think it is appropriate to look at how we do things and try to figure out what needs to change. When I was in charge of PWOC in Baumholder I always wondered why am I doing this? Even the Women's Ministry at Intown I feel some of the same way. I know it is meeting a need, just like PWOC was meeting a need. Women were coming...but PWOC just never did anything for me. It has been nice to be back at Intown and not have to a dang thing for the women's ministry here. All I have to do is show up. I enjoy it, but I just wonder if there is something more...

But I could just be weird too. In fact I do know that is true. I am a bit different. I mean, I don't even really like play group...which I know is like a sin. I do go to playgroup now...mostly because Kris admonished me that it would be best to go. And it isn't death.

All these are just weird ramblings now...Bottom line. I like going to a church that feels like a church. I like singing hymns, hearing a sermon and having communion every week. Is it even crazy that a CA girl could like attending a somewhat liturgical church? But I haven't quite figured out where I fit in the whole...Woman...Mom thing. I guess that is why we have become involved in the Singles Fellowship...er...ALF...at Intown.

OK, I guess I better read up some more on the emergent church thing...if anyone has a book to recommend that would be great. Preferably not one written by Brian McLaren...I think he is kind of fruity with the whole...I am a Calvinist, Arminian, Anglican, Catholic...blah...blah...but maybe I am wrong about that as well.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ami - I can't say that I understand the emergent church thing any better. The way it was explained to me was three major strands - which you actually covered in your post - one being more liturgical style of worship with candles etc. harkening back to the early church/catacombs kind of thing, one revising doctrine (or no preaching etc) and one trying to be more relevant/missional. It's an interesting topic and one I don't know much about either.

My roommate goes to Brian McClaren's church. My other roommate goes to a Presbyterian church. I go to one that is "orthodox in belief (ie sticking with the traditional doctrine), and unorthodox in practice (meet in movie theater, redeeming popular culture, etc.)

To me it always comes back to - where's the fruit? This was no more evident to me than when the Toronto Blessing group came to Wilmore our freshman year was it? and the campus was divided. I just remember going to a service and thinking some of it was really weird and crazy. But a friend's life was turned completely around in an amazing way during that meeting. So at the end of the day - emerging church or not, are people's lives being changed? Are people coming to know Christ? Are they accepting His neverending pursuit of them?

Long post. Wish we could talk in person. Thank you for your thought provoking blogs and willingness to share your questions and thoughts. I'm enjoying it very much.

Lisa

P.S. How's new baby? Love the pics of Hadleigh. Adorable.

Emily said...

Hi, Ami- I discovered your blog through Chrity', but obviously haven't commented before. There are a couple of great books on the emergent church movement and one in particular that's good about how people our age are sort of dividing themselves along the neo-reformed churches and the emergent churches, but how both groups are really responding (just differently) to some of the "felt" needs of a group of people disoriented by the onslaught of postmodernism. Unfortunately, since having the babies, I can't remember titles and the books themselves are in the room where they're napping right now. One of the big emergent church books that's getting discussion in both reformed and emergent circles is "Velvet Elvis"- which I have a lot of opinions on and would love to discuss if you get a chance to read it. As far as good background, you can check out that overview (especially on the reformed/emergent "clash")that Christianity Today has been publishing (it's in their archives and the first article I read- they have some good reading lists- was about two years ago in the summer, if that's helpful). I'm thinking and discussing these issues a lot and would love to e-mail or chat about them if you want a conversation partner!

Christy said...

Wow, I'm feeling like my (four) neurons are buzzing around dimly in there. I don't even have a clue what Emily just wrote. However, I did find the "playgroup isn't death" comment quite amusing!