Friday, May 19, 2006

We Got It

For those of you waiting on pins and needles to hear how our trip to Dusseldorf went, we got it!

Shortly after Hadleigh was born we made arrangements to apply for her birth documents and passport. Upon arriving at the military passport office we were informed that it would take 16 weeks to receive her passport. I almost had a heart attack right then. 16 weeks? For the love of Pete that is 4 months? Are you really going to hold us captive in Germany for 4 months, I asked? Do you know that in the states I can rush it and get it in 2 weeks, I strongly argued, as if somehow that would change the lady's mind and she would say, "Oh honey, in that case..." The woman also assured us that the consulate would not help us, and would take just as long.

Imagine my surprise when I called the Frankfurt Consulate the next morning to hear on the recording that passports are generally received in 5-10 days. Hmm...4 months...2 weeks. I sent Dave back by the passport office to pick up our stuff the following day.

Since I failed to ever talk to a normal human being at the Frankfurt and the folks at the Dusseldorf consulate were more than helpful, we decided to trek up to Ddorf to see if they would give us the goods.

We drove up Wednesday evening so that we could be the first in the line Thursday morning at 0900. I checked online about 50 times to make sure yesterday wasn't a German or American holiday. I called and talked to 3 different people that gave me the list of all the documents we needed to produce. And I prayed and prayed.

Folks kept telling me that we would be rejected and sent back to Baumholder since we are affiliated with a military post. I tried to imagine my life this summer as we were held hostage in Germany, unable to leave because some lady in some office wanted to take her sweet time sending our stuff in.

Thankfully it all worked out. Hadleigh should now be official with a passport in the next 5-10 business days. Everyone at the Ddorf Consulate is awesome and we love them all. Thank you for letting us leave Germany and the EU.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that all workded out! Hope the trip (and drive) to Italy is wonderful!
love
Chris

Anonymous said...

Why do all of my comments have typos?

Sarah said...

I'm glad too! We had to get Annie a little passport to go to Brazil. Eye color and hair color were sketchy questions for us. She's got gray-green eyes right now and brown hair with blonde hair coming in. Anyway, it was an awesome trip. We put pics on our blog!