Monday, April 18, 2011

Neighborhood Easter

The very first activity we attended in our neighborhood was the annual Easter Egg Hunt three years ago.  Our house was under contract and we thought it would be fun to attend and meet some of our new neighbors.  HC was barely two and Annelise was a baby, so there was not a whole lot of egg finding going on that year.

Remember the good old days when we used to use real boiled eggs for egg hunts?  Now folks buy plastic eggs and stuff it with candy for the kids to find.  Lame.  I would prefer trying to find a use for lots of boiled eggs.  Now I have to confiscate all this candy and stuff my girls eggs with teddy grahams.  I actually did do that the last two years, but I think my girls have short memories because today they did not even ask for the candy.  So, the candy is on top of the fridge and if you happen to be at our house sometime and want a snack feel free to help yourself.

Not that our children do not eat candy...well they certainly do not eat much of it.  The other day some one was marveling at the idea that my girls have never had a carbonated beverage...no coke, no sprite, no mountain dew.  Since I do all the shopping it is not a big shocker (I drink water and that is about it), and of course Dave is a dentist and well...sodas are pretty bad for your teeth, so Dave and I are a good team.

About the candy, either we are meanies or our children do not care enough to give us a hard time about not getting candy.  Actually HC asks to chew gum at least a couple times a week.  But she knows when she is 33 she can chew all the gum she wants.  We like making up arbitrary numbers for things.  So the other day it was my sis-in-laws birthday and HC asked how old she was, and I told her 29.  "Oh, so AUntie Rubie isn't married?" she asked.  I was so confused, and then I quickly remembered that I had told her she could get married when she is 30.  "Well, Auntie Rubie got married before she was 30, she did not follow the rules."  Hmm...I wonder how long this will last?

1 comment:

M & M said...

Love that last story! Made me laugh...funny how quick her mind is!