Monday, August 01, 2005

On Sheep and Begonias


May I remind the world that I grew up in suburbia Los Angeles, and beside a brief stint in Wilmore, Kentucky have never lived in the "country". I don't actually think that Wilmore counts because it has 2 traffic lights, even though they begin to blink at 9pm.

Since moving to Germany I have had a beginning intro to country life. In Kentucky I began my "red neck" training where I completed level one. In Atlanta I graduated to level two once I had fished and experienced Stone Mountain's laser show. I must warn, however, that red neck training doesn't completely prepare you for country living (and I am not talking about the magazine here folks).

One of the things that endeared me to our new home was that it bordered a pasture where sheep roamed. I thought it was cool to look out my bedroom and living room window to see the sheep roaming around the fields. I was not prepared, however, to have my yard invaded by sheep.

Last Thursday the bleeting seemed to grow closer and louder and I soon realized that a couple of the sheep had somehow climbed through the fence and into our yard. I went outside and looked around to see if any other neighbors noticed and if the owner was anywhere to be found. The other neighbors didn't seem to think it was a big deal so I went back inside, assuming eventually the owner would notice and fix the situation. An hour later I was totally invaded. Our doors were banging and our windows were rattling as they banged into each other and in to our house trying to east up every scrap of grass, weed and flower. This is where I got a little freaked out. I didn't want to go outside for fear of being trampled. The other bad thing is that Dave and I just recently watched "The Village" (which has large sheep like creatures) and even though it is all a movie, I started to get really scared. I called Dave and he had no suggestions, so I waited it out.

The owner finally came and rounded up her sheep over the fence and I went out to assess the damages. Apparently sheep like begonias because they ate both of my begonia flowers clean. If I had known that in their banging around they were eating my "prize begonias" (do I sound country now?) I would have given those sheep something to be scared of! In any case, I now know that sheep will eat anything and if there is anything worth saving in the yard I better do it quickly (I also know where the owner of the sheep lives).

Pictures:
Our yard (notice the clothes line) and the sheep where they belong
Our yard invaded
what is left of one of my Prize Begonia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ami! I can so picture this happening and your reaction to it :) I am sure that the tears were streaming down your face with laughter as you were amazed at the bleeting sheep. That is awesome!
Jamie

jessrings said...

Wholly crap..those things travelled far. And who knew they would be so hungry? Next time, definitely spray the flowers with like garlic or hairspray or something. Maybe that will make them taste bad. Or how about electric fencing??

Anonymous said...

Ami,
You always have the funniest stories! I love the part about you having just seen The Village and being freaked out. It's kind of embarrassing to sit at your computer and laugh out loud, but that's what your stories do to me. I look forward to more! Mom