Saturday, August 13, 2005

Ode to Christine Wiegert and All Valley Girls

The summer of 1993 between my junior and senior years in high school I spent 3 months in Mozambique, Africa. Recently I stumbled upon some letters that friends and family sent to me while I was away. It was fun to reminisce with some of them, and others I just couldn't quite remember who they might have been talking about. This letter, however, is one of my favorites. One of my best buds from high school was Christine Wiegert. Chris writes just like she talks so it was always entertaining to receive her letters. This will be funny to those graduates of NPHS, to anyone who knew and loved Chris, or to anyone who is or was a "Valley Girl". Welcome to my high school experience, and by the way if anyone knows where Christine ended up I'd love to know. One last thing, if this letter happens to mention you- sorry, the folks that she did mention I can't seem to remember, it even took me a moment to remember Chad Allen-Hello! (I will write in parentheses if there is anything that needs to be explained).

9.30pm
Friday

Ami Bud,
I Miss You. I Wish You Were Coming Back Sooner!
How is it going these. You better be taking very good care of yourself. Don't let anythings happen to you. Crap man-Ami expression- I miss you. I wish we were going tomorrow to pick you up. Oh, I have something for you when you get back. I know you'll like it. Oh know, my mom just walked in the room and she is in a bad mood. She's sick and when she's sick she's in a meany mood. Just writing this letter is making me even more Ami sick. like Home sick- hardi-har-har.

The other day I was in the post office and I saw Carson Goldberg and I think he was trying to talk to me and I didn't stop to talk to him. I didn't mean to and I felt really bad. He might think I was rude but I didn't mean to. You know how it goes. Remember with Jeremy Sands in the school parking lot and you just hopped in the car. You didn't mean to either. Oh Oh I got a flashback when I said "hopped in the car". It made me think of me hopping out of the car as fast as I could, away from ELVIS (a guy Chris didn't like but went out with a few times). He stopped the car, parked it, and then I flew out and ran up to my door. Thank goodness. You were SOOOO very right about him. I have been so picky about guys lately. Actually I don't even want one now at all, UNLESS he's BUFF, CHRISTIAN, VIRGIN, HANDSOME, SWEET. Sounds good, huh Ami.

Oh I wish you were here just now and we could be talking about dorky guys, etc. I've thought about it and have absolutely concluded that God is DEFINATELY saving you for some rad guy at college. I'm very sure. It's because you are such a special person and he doesn't want non-special guys to go out with you. You are too valuable. God loves you soooo much.

I've been doing some stuff for me dad's job and I have gotten a lot of money so we are going to go out to some really good place to eat. We are going to have so much fun when you get back.

Ami, it's so weird but all the things you've said to me before are finally clicking in my head. Like when you said that driving isn't really that important. I can see that now. Next year I'm going to try not to care at all what people think. We can walk home from the football games on the sidewalk with pride. We can stand up tall and show off our quarter to the on-coming teenage traffic on our way to Albertsons to call out parents. Yeah right! Well actually, maybe I could but it would be hard not to care at all what people think but I'm working on it. (Neither Chris or I were able to drive our junior year. We both had really long hair, so after school events we would walk down Reino Road with our hair covering our faces, so people couldn't see us, to the local grocery store where we would ask our parents to pick us up.)

Oh Ami you are such a great friend. I sure hope you are having a lot of fun. I also hope that God is helping you experience some great Christian moments.

Oh Oh I got another flashback. That was so hilarious when after you swallowed your pill with water and banana I was in your room and you were in the kitchen and at first I heard someone mumbling something and then I heard it louder.
"THANK you Jesus, THANK you. THANK you LORD" "Thank you so very much JESUS." (I vaguely remember this happening, I have a hard time swallowing pills and I think that I had a particularly hard time getting this pill down) That was so funny at first I didn't know what you were doing. That was so funny listening too but it was also so special because it shows your special relationship with God. Don't worry I do stuff like that too. Actually it's so neat though. God values you soooo much.

Oh you know what, I'm going to tape Dr. Quinn for you so we can watch it and look at CHAD ALLEN-HELLO!

Well, I'm going ot bed, Love always, your best bud,
Christine
PS I'm so glad that we are both Christians and Best Buds

No comments: